Premed 101 Forums

Volunteer hours

Just a random question, how many hours is considered "good" or "significant" for a volunteer position? I know it can't be answered accurately but just want a general idea, like 100? 200? 500? How many hours do you guys usually have for those of your "main" experiences?

THX~~

Just a random question, how many hours is considered "good" or "significant" for a volunteer position? I know it can't be answered accurately but just want a general idea, like 100? 200? 500? How many hours do you guys usually have for those of your "main" experiences?

THX~~

Well, I would say number of hours isn't as important as length of service... But the two usually correlate.

If a majority of your volunteer activities are one day 4 hr events that might not be as powerful as a 3 yr once a week commitment to big brother or Canadian blood services.

However, I'd say that if you get over 100 hours in something that is an ok amount. 500 would be good and over 1000 would be pretty awesome. That's like 40 hrs a week for 6 months.

I should clarify that under 100 isn't bad, just that when you can show a great time commitment over an extended period of time it is probably going to look Better on the app, help you mature as a person, expose you to a lot of different scenarios and be less likely to only be an application padder.

What I'm wondering is whether it's worth it to list one-off volunteer events? E.g., I volunteered ~4 hours for our new student reception. I have a verifier... I'm just wondering whether listing those small commitments in the spare space I have will look bad (will I look like a "padder"?).

my recommendation is to leave that till the end and if you have space left on your character count, then add that in because remember, it can only do you good. If anything it may also add to your diversity profile.

For instance, in my application, I had 6 seemingly random things that I had been involved with (off & on usually) like donating blood or going on runs around the Point Grey trails. And at the end of my application, I had space so I included them even though I do not train for them at a national level or donate religiously.

I started a hospital volunteer in 2009 summer but didn't do many hours. I am thinking of catching up a bit by doing more hours this year. So when I apply in 2012, I will have already volunteered there for 3 years and I'm wondering how many hours sounds appropriate for this 3 years of volunteer.

I can control it by doing 2 hours a week or 5 hours a week. I guess I may end up with ~300 hours. Just wanna make sure 300 hours is not too few for a 3 year commitment.

my recommendation is to leave that till the end and if you have space left on your character count, then add that in because remember, it can only do you good. If anything it may also add to your diversity profile.

For instance, in my application, I had 6 seemingly random things that I had been involved with (off & on usually) like donating blood or going on runs around the Point Grey trails. And at the end of my application, I had space so I included them even though I do not train for them at a national level or donate religiously.

Thanks for the tip!

For things like going on runs, etc., how would you provide a verifier? I'm into painting, but not enough to be in exhibitions, etc., but enough that I've invested a considerable amount of time into it. I didn't think I could include because I really have no verifiers except myself, my family, and friends.

Thanks for the tip!

For things like going on runs, etc., how would you provide a verifier? I'm into painting, but not enough to be in exhibitions, etc., but enough that I've invested a considerable amount of time into it. I didn't think I could include because I really have no verifiers except myself, my family, and friends.

well, for those you can use someone else in your friends/family circle as they are the only ones who can verify it.

if you go to a painting class, or studio you could also ask them to verify for you.

ultimately, they just want to avoid seeing dozens of things on the application all verified by mommy, daddy, brother, sister, best friend, uncle, aunt... because at that point it might seem a little fishy.

if you put your family down it won't impact the value provided it is something that they even consider.

only 30 days until the new application opens up... how very exciting.

Thanks for the tip!

I have a fair bit verified by "mommy and daddy", but I have extensive solo travel experience and no-one else who is really a suitable verifier. Ultimately, I have written things like "Friend- only available contact for solo travel".

My NAQ was alright, so I think as long as it's legit you won't have a problem.

yes, i did put my parents as verifiers but honestly, since it isnt such a major thing, I'm sure it'll slip through. Yes, if you wrote you worked at an international AIDS research institute in Africa and had your mom as a reference, that might be questionable. But for natural, everyday, activities like going on walks or runs, am sure friends/family will suffice.

Hope that helps.

Archived