Premed 101 Forums

Canadian friendly US schools

Hi my fellow Canadians

I want to ask for those who have applied to the US what schools you would recommend me applying to.

I have a fairly good list but if you could tell me which ones I should get rid of and which other ones I should add, that would be great.Thanks

1. Midwestern University

2. Loma Linda University

3. University of California San Francisco

4. University of the Pacific

5. University of Pittsburg

6. Nova Southeastern University

7. Temple University

8. University of Connecticut

9. Boston University

10. University of Detroit Mercy

11. University of Minnesota

12. University of Medicine&Dentistry of New Jersey

13. New York University

14. State University of New York, University at Buffalo

15. Case Western Reserve University

16. University of Minnesota

17. University of Pennsylvania

18. Columbia University

19. University of Michigan

20. University of Southern California

Hi my fellow Canadians

I want to ask for those who have applied to the US what schools you would recommend me applying to.

I have a fairly good list but if you could tell me which ones I should get rid of and which other ones I should add, that would be great.Thanks

1. Midwestern University

2. Loma Linda University

7. Temple University

9. Boston University

13. New York University

18. Columbia University

Indiana U , maybe.

Case Western was best, coz you can get your own chair in 3rd yr.

Hi my fellow Canadians

1. Midwestern University

2. Loma Linda University

7. Temple University

9. Boston University

13. New York University

18. Columbia University

This a pretty long list, but like mentioned before, it kind of depends on your stats (sGPA, oGPA, DAT) as well as ECs to a certain extent. Some of those school require or lean heavily towards American DATs as well. I applied this past cycle and the ones in bold are are schools that I applied to, so if you have any questions about them feel free to ask. I can't speak much to the others. generally, applying to about 8-10 is a enough, but if you want further 'security' go ahead with more.

Good luck with your application.

If I were you, I would get rid of # 3,5, 12, and 19. Maybe add Roseman to your list.

Hi my fellow Canadians

1. Midwestern University

2. Loma Linda University

7. Temple University

9. Boston University

13. New York University

18. Columbia University

Why would you get rid of UCSF? They accept Canadians (with an American DAT) and it's a great school. UMDNJ and UMich I'm not sure of.

UCSF is a great school. I was just trying to narrow the list down for the OP. It's a state school so they're not going to accept as many Canadian students as the other schools on that list (same goes with UMich and UMDNJ). It all depends on the OP's stats though.

Anyone know which american schools accept Canadian DAT?

And which schools I should apply in the next round if I have the following stats:

AA: 21

PAT: 22

Did not do carving

cGPA: 87% UBC = ~3.80 (out of 4.0)

All the schools I bolded in my previous post do. All those schools have comfirmed to me that they do, but you may want to email them and make sure just incase their policy is changing for the upcoming cycle. That is not to say there are no others that do, but i just didn't inquire into some of the other ones. Also, I know that while Columbia 'accepts' the cDAT, they highly prefer the aDAT.

Good luck.

Anyone know which american schools accept Canadian DAT?

And which schools I should apply in the next round if I have the following stats:

AA: 21

PAT: 22

Did not do carving

cGPA: 87% UBC = ~3.80 (out of 4.0)

Why not just go to UBC?

I had an interview this year, but didn't get in (well...still on waitlist). But I will definitely apply to UBC again next year. I didn't get an interview from Western, Toronto, or McGill. The OOP thing has such high standards. So, I will apply to UBC and some American schools next year.

Thoughts??

Western and UofT actually have preference for in province? That's strange, usually Ontario schools don't have any preference for Ontarians...

I had an interview this year, but didn't get in (well...still on waitlist). But I will definitely apply to UBC again next year. I didn't get an interview from Western, Toronto, or McGill. The OOP thing has such high standards. So, I will apply to UBC and some American schools next year.

Thoughts??

How did you not get an interview from Western if your overall avg was 87? You must have had at least 2 years where your avg was above 86 which was the interview cutoff, unless you didn't finish your degree yet or your RC was below min.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi my fellow Canadians

1. Midwestern University

2. Loma Linda University

7. Temple University

9. Boston University

13. New York University

18. Columbia University

If I were you, I would get rid of Columbia. They send out invite for international students but I haven't seen anyone (at least around me) actually got accepted to Columbia. I had an interview there as well but it was weird; while all other interviewer were interviewing students with their files open and writing down details of the interview (probably grading them...), my interviewer didn't even bother opening my file. Then he started babbling about some random stuff instead of actually interviewing me. I am not sure if other international students had similar interview as mine though...

Just my two cents!

i know lots of canadians go to NYU

idk why :s

Because they're a large private school that has no preference for residency or citizenship; it's also relatively easy to get into as most people can't stomach the cost of the schooling and choose to go elsewhere--so they send out a LOT of acceptances.

Don't get me wrong though, it's a great school and from what I've seen from my interview and my friends who go there they provide a fantastic education, as long as you're okay with the rather large class size. If you can afford it, it's certainly a good school to go to.

• 4 weeks later...

so I am applying now to American schools and I have a questions about the payment.

If I need to send them a cheque for supplemental application, do they accept cheques from Canadian banks? And do I have to keep the conversion rate in mind or can I just write what they ask for and it will automatically be used in US dollars?

so I am applying now to American schools and I have a questions about the payment.

If I need to send them a cheque for supplemental application, do they accept cheques from Canadian banks? And do I have to keep the conversion rate in mind or can I just write what they ask for and it will automatically be used in US dollars?

Cange US Dollars CASH in bank, and then call to FEDEX. They will pick it up.

Ask 1000$ USD CASH for less weight.

Archived