Premed 101 Forums

Input needed! Or another "What are my chances"

Hey everyone!

I graduated from an Honors Bachelor of Health Science in Medical Laboratory Science from UOIT in 2012 with a 3.44 average. My mind wasn't totally set on med school (but it was lurking in there) and I decided to apply after my 3rd year to no success. Currently I am completing my first year of a 2 year course based Masters of Clinical Science Pathologist Assistant Program at Western. So far I'm at about an A average. Now that I've been doing some serious thinking, and I want to get into med school. So I've been thinking about doing a second undergraduate degree (starting September after I graduate my masters) to boost my marks as well as get some volunteer/EC stuff (Previous; Agricultural society, Figure Skating Assistant, Karate Assistant) since I want to be "more well-rounded". As well, during my next undergrad taking the MCAT is a must, since I didn't score too well during the first one.

Just looking for some advice/thoughts! :)

Yeah, I think a second undergrad is necessary. Kill your gpa and the mcat and you should be set. In terms of your ecs, don't just do them to be well rounded (like padding your cvs). Do Ecs, that you're truly passionate about so you can obtain meaningful experiences from them. Well that's my 2 cents anyways.

The fact that you'll have your masters will be looked upon well by some school. ie uoft.

Just keep at it and you'll be able to obtain your goal!

I'd recommend re-writing the MCAT this summer and reapplying next year to queens and western. Your gpa is competitive for both queens and western (they look at the last/best 2 years), so if you meet their mcat cutoffs, your chances of getting an interview at both schools would be great. A second undergrad will only help you for ottawa and you'll need to get a 3.9 to meet their cutoff. This is on the assumption that you had taken a full course load in your last two years.

Does the slash represent semester breakdown? If it does then Charmer's usually solid advice doesn't apply because your last year is not full time. Also your summer GPA doesn't count. Your Masters won't help you all that much regardless of your grades and your EC's are average. You will need at least 1-2 years of full time undergrad to bring your GPA up. 18M on the MCAT is a non-starter you will need >30Q with at least a 10 in VR. This is not as easy as people think it is and may take a few attempts. Best of luck

I'd recommend re-writing the MCAT this summer and reapplying next year to queens and western. Your gpa is competitive for both queens and western (they look at the last/best 2 years), so if you meet their mcat cutoffs, your chances of getting an interview at both schools would be great. A second undergrad will only help you for ottawa and you'll need to get a 3.9 to meet their cutoff. This is on the assumption that you had taken a full course load in your last two years.

This is the best route I can see.

Thanks for the input so far!

Yes the slash represents the semester breakdown. I did take a full year my 4th year, but the way my course ran was I had practicum all year (so one mark) and then a pass/fail mark. So I don't think it really counts as a year.

Even with that year gone, would I still be competitive? I thought competitive for med schools were like 3.8+, but maybe I was wrong!

Thanks for the input so far!

Yes the slash represents the semester breakdown. I did take a full year my 4th year, but the way my course ran was I had practicum all year (so one mark) and then a pass/fail mark. So I don't think it really counts as a year.

Even with that year gone, would I still be competitive? I thought competitive for med schools were like 3.8+, but maybe I was wrong!

Competitive is >3.8, especially in Ontario. You can get an interview at a couple of schools with 3.7ish and that is where ECs and grad school can help but its no guarantee. The lower your GPA the fewer options you have, the fewer the interviews, and the lower your odds become.

I think the consensus is 2nd undergrad for 1-2 years minimum, and a solid MCAT to start it all off. Good luck.

Archived