Premed 101 Forums

Health Sciences vs. Medical Sciences

First time navigating the site and didn't realize there was a specific Western board. I'll copy and paste a thread I posted in the general discussion forum.

_______

I am currently a High School student who accepted the Health Sciences program at Western. Just some concerns, I would like some feedback .

I understand that Health Sciences is more a social science regarding health care system and the history of medicine etc. which is why I preferred it over Med Sci. I also planned on taking the Health Sci. with Biology module to keep the science aspect with bio, chem, physics etc. that the students in Med Sci. would be taking.

Another reasoning I had to pick Health Sci. over Med Sci. is that I have way more flexibility in courses, with Bio and Health Sciences as my only required courses. I still plan on taking chem, physics etc. to be eligible for the Bio module. I still want more courses social oriented though, as I am interested in Law School as well. I thought this program would allow me to do this vs. Med Sci since med sci. basically has your first year outlined for you. I also feel like I could work my courses around to have a lighter course work if need be.

That being said, I started talking to many people older than me, and they all have this puzzling look that I picked Health Sciences at UWO. They say that people who want to be chiropractors, nurses, physiotherapists etc. pick health sciences, and that it is not a direct line to medicine. Not to take away from those careers obviously, but Med school to become a doctor is a more desirable goal. Did I make a mistake by not taking Med Sci?

My understanding was that the degree doesn't matter, at the end of the day your EC's, MCAT, GPA, and interview is what affects the process the most. To me, Health Sci just made more sense to be able to keep all aspects balanced. Is there something I overlooked? I also noticed many of the posters who go to Western on this site, are in Medical Sciences. Is it harder for me to go to Med School with a degree in Health Sciences?

For discussion purposes, lets say I had the exact same GPA as somebody who went did the Medical Sciences degree instead. Will he have a better chance of getting into Med school?

My understanding was that the degree doesn't matter, at the end of the day your EC's, MCAT, GPA, and interview is what affects the process the most. To me, Health Sci just made more sense to be able to keep all aspects balanced. Is there something I overlooked?

Nope. You're totally correct!

Program doesn't really matter (I won't say it doesn't matter at all just because obviously you'll do better in some programs than others, there are different opportunities for research and such, etc), GPA/MCAT/ECs do. Pick what you like and can do well in.

First time navigating the site and didn't realize there was a specific Western board. I'll copy and paste a thread I posted in the general discussion forum.

_______

I am currently a High School student who accepted the Health Sciences program at Western. Just some concerns, I would like some feedback .

I understand that Health Sciences is more a social science regarding health care system and the history of medicine etc. which is why I preferred it over Med Sci. I also planned on taking the Health Sci. with Biology module to keep the science aspect with bio, chem, physics etc. that the students in Med Sci. would be taking.

Another reasoning I had to pick Health Sci. over Med Sci. is that I have way more flexibility in courses, with Bio and Health Sciences as my only required courses. I still plan on taking chem, physics etc. to be eligible for the Bio module. I still want more courses social oriented though, as I am interested in Law School as well. I thought this program would allow me to do this vs. Med Sci since med sci. basically has your first year outlined for you. I also feel like I could work my courses around to have a lighter course work if need be.

That being said, I started talking to many people older than me, and they all have this puzzling look that I picked Health Sciences at UWO. They say that people who want to be chiropractors, nurses, physiotherapists etc. pick health sciences, and that it is not a direct line to medicine. Not to take away from those careers obviously, but Med school to become a doctor is a more desirable goal. Did I make a mistake by not taking Med Sci?

My understanding was that the degree doesn't matter, at the end of the day your EC's, MCAT, GPA, and interview is what affects the process the most. To me, Health Sci just made more sense to be able to keep all aspects balanced. Is there something I overlooked? I also noticed many of the posters who go to Western on this site, are in Medical Sciences. Is it harder for me to go to Med School with a degree in Health Sciences?

For discussion purposes, lets say I had the exact same GPA as somebody who went did the Medical Sciences degree instead. Will he have a better chance of getting into Med school?

Your program doesn't matter. Just keep your GPA up. Your friends looking at you funny will look even more puzzled once you actually get in.

They don't know what they're talking about. :)

Program doesn't really matter (I won't say it doesn't matter at all just because obviously you'll do better in some programs than others, there are different opportunities for research and such, etc), GPA/MCAT/ECs do. Pick what you like and can do well in.

same time post.. don't think this has ever happened to me.

best day evar.

same time post.. don't think this has ever happened to me.

best day evar.

triplet (in another, basically identical, thread). woo hoooo.

Health sciences grad here - It really depends on what your interests are. I initially went into the health sciences hoping for a more science-oriented program (not sure what I was expecting really... it was kind of a last-minute decision). Now looking back, I am glad I did health sciences as it gave me a broader perspective on health, not just the biomedical side. I personally think this would give you an edge in the interview process. I still took the necessary science courses as my electives (chem, orgo, biochem, etc) and health sci does offer fascinating anatomy courses (ex. embryology, disease mechanisms).

I think health sciences is a pretty logical route to medicine IF you have an interest in public health as well.

You would not be at a disadvantage compared to med-sci students provided that you are able to maintain a good GPA and achieve good MCAT scores :)

triplet (in another, basically identical, thread). woo hoooo.

Yeah honestly didn't expect so many replies so quickly! Hopefully you guys know what you're talking about :P LOL.

I still feel confident in my decision, its just after some mixed reactions, I catch myself thinking about it more than I probably should be.

Can somebody make the argument on why I should choose Medical Sciences? I like hearing both sides to an argument. Also lets say after my first year I want to switch into Medical Sciences, would it be difficult?

Yeah honestly didn't expect so many replies so quickly! Hopefully you guys know what you're talking about :P LOL.

I still feel confident in my decision, its just after some mixed reactions, I catch myself thinking about it more than I probably should be.

Can somebody make the argument on why I should choose Medical Sciences? I like hearing both sides to an argument. Also lets say after my first year I want to switch into Medical Sciences, would it be difficult?

http://westerncalendar.uwo.ca/Archive/2012/pg1674.html

According to this website, you would have to wait until year 3 to enter the BMSc program.

If the enrolment target for Year 3 of the BMSc Program is not reached with qualified students from Medical Sciences 2, additional students will be admitted on a competitive basis until the capacity of Year 3 of the BMSc Program is reached. The following conditions must be satisfied by these additional students requesting admission to the remaining spaces in Year 3 of the BMSc Program

this suggests that additional students will only be admitted if students from Medical Sciences 2 (the students who began as BMSc) do not meet qualifications and there is space left over

When looking at health science vs medical science, it seems like health science focuses less on biological aspect of medicine but more on socioeconomical aspect of medicine.

This sort of background would be good in pretty much every medical field but more so in primary care specialties like family medicine, pediatrics, geriatrics, psychiatry, public health

It's also an interesting background to have if you have interests in health policy etc.

Medical science on the other hand is more biological and focuses on topics that would typically involve biomedical research and internal medicine specialties.

-- it would be a great degree if you are interested in doing some basic biomedical research in a wet lab setting (cellular/molecular, physiological, behavioural research) and would naturally lead to MSc/PhD in biomedical sciences etc

-- it also provides a course set that may give foundational knowledge on all basic medical sciences taught in medical school (anatomy, physiology, immunology, biochemistry, neuroscience, microbiology, pathology, pharmacology, genetics etc) in addition to biology/chemistry/physics

in short,

both are great for medical school and each occupies an important niche in medicine

health science --> MPH degree or MSc in global health, health policy, health economics, socioeconomical determinants of health as defined by the WHO, rural health, global health etc

medical science --> basic medical science MSc, PhD, biological aspects of medicine (etiology and pathophysiology of diseases, genetics of disease, treatments for diseases)

so i think having an idea of what kinda of medicine or career you want to pursue in the future may help decide whether you want to do health science vs. medical science

Archived