Premed 101 Forums

Best neurology programs in the country?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm a neuro resident, and have worked in four provinces. I've been to all the sites, as I initially interviewed everywhere. It's tough to answer that question. From what people tell me, in general the programs with the best academic reputations are: Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver (in no particular order), and maybe McGill.

That said, you're stuck there for five years, so I'd have to say the city was a more important factor in my decision, and I'm happy that it was, especially now that I'm a senior resident. Residency is tough wherever you go, and being in a city you like makes a big difference. In addition, I wanted a big program (like Toronto, Calgary, UWO, Ottawa, McGill or Vancouver), as I like having people in my year - it's very nice for your R5 year to have company. I know I wouldn't want to go through that alone.

The bigger universities also have more staff, and ability to get involved in research. It is interesting to get exposure to a variety of different practice styles from different staff, or to have the luxury of a sleep disorders expert, a big neuro-optho department, or an epilepsy ward. In tiny places like Manitoba and Dal, or Newfoundland, Queens, etc... it seemed like they just didn't get the same exposure to the amount of different fellowship trained neurologists. For that reason, I think the best programs are probably the bigger cities. But I think you should try to make sure you pick a city you're happy in, as all the programs train good neurologists in the end.

Archived