Premed 101 Forums

Taking a year off for Derm research vs other options

Hi everyone,

I thought the ideal specialty didn't exist and I still think it doesn't. However, I realized just now (I am a 3rd year clerk, more than half way through the clerkship year), quite late in the game, that derm is where my heart is and its just an amazing specialty on so many levels. However, its unfortunate that I was very late to realize this and am not competitive for it. I have an above average academic record but so do a lot of other people. Though I have an interest in academics, I don't have evidence on my CV to show for it. I did a bench lab project in ophtho (didnt end up in pub) back in undergrad, a clinical research paper on colon cancer (published), a case report in internal med (submitted, very likely will get accepted), and an opinion piece. I do have the chance to get involved in two more clinical research projects, one in ophtho, one in colon cancer but they likley will take a long time to get published (i,e, after carms) and they are not in derm obviously. Also, no conferences attended and no presentations or posters.

In constrast, some of my classmates who have been set on derm since day 1, boast multiple pubs in derm, conference presentations, connections within the community etc. In the light of this, and knowing that I have finally found the specialty I want to do with a passion, I am thinking of several options and am hoping I could hear what you guys have to say about this:

-Participate in the Carms match next year with this application and either get lucky or go unmatched. I dont really have a backup but I could apply for internal med and try to switch into derm later on ( i realize this is going to be a long shot)

-If I dont back up with internal and go unmatched, take the year to build a focus on academics (research, conferences, etc)

-Take the year off now (between 3rd and 4th year) to work on research etc

-Take the US route at some point in the future (either if I go unmatched next year or if I end up in internal) though I realize derm is ultra competitive there too and there seems to be a much stronger focus on academic derm down south

Thanks for your help and advice!

This is a hard question! Before you make any decisions about taking time off, make sure to get lots of derm electives arranged. Go talk to your home school's derm program director if there's a program and any other staff you know. Get advice and suggestions from them. Likewise, talk to any student advisors your school has about this stuff. It's a bit premature to be talking about going unmatched or taking time off but it's key to have a plan nonetheless. Better to be taking steps to deal with this in mid-April than mid-August.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Archived