Premed 101 Forums

Any Disadvantage To Submitting Application Last Minute?

Hey,

So a fear just ran across my mind that I would like some insight on.

Aside from the possibility that I may potentially miss the deadline, or the OMSAS website is down due to traffic, or some other anomaly, is there any disadvantage at submitting my application on the last or second to last day?

I ask this because I am applying to U of T.  I know that they have a hard deadline of Oct 1st for the reference letters. I have submitted all documents (MCAT, reference letters) ahead of time, and I have requested OMSAS to collect my transcript from an Ontario school.

IF I submit this application, say, on Sept 30th, will that give OMSAS enough time to collect all my documents and be able to present them to U of T for the deadline?

I think my asking of this question is a bit lame, but I am a little worried.  I guess the gist of what I am asking is will U of T do an immediate check on the 1st to see that documents are in, or will they give OMSAS a little leeway to compile documents that were sent in with your application before October 1st before presenting everything to U of T to review?

Thanks for you time!!!

Submit by October 1st and you have nothing to worry about (besides the technical risks you mentioned) and you will be at no disadvantage.

From the UofT site: "The deadline for receiving reference letters is the October 1, 2015, application deadline. If OMSAS does not receive your postmarked letters by this date, your application to the University of Toronto’s MD program will be incomplete and will not be considered."

Notice it says if OMSAS, not UofT, has to receive your letters by that date. If UofT rejected people due to a failure on OMSAS's part to forward documents that would be totally ridiculous (so believe me, that isn't the case), so you have nothing to worry about. It likely takes OMSAS several days to weeks to forward everyone's stuff after the October 1st deadline, due to the large volume of paperwork they have to deal with, but that won't affect your application in any way.

Does this mean that referee can mail the letter before Oct 1, say Sept.28 and even if it arrives after Oct.1 but was sent out before Oct.1, its still considered valid? I'm little worried since my referee lives in the U.S and she hasn't send out the letter yet..and i'm considering asking her to send out by express mail?

I just submitted my application today (yay!), and one thing I think you should note is that OMSAS needs to receive your payment by the deadline in order for the application to be considered valid. Specifically, this is what it says on my application now, since I chose to pay by online banking:

Payment Information
  • The OUAC must receive payment by the stated deadline or your application will be invalid.

Online Banking (Canadian banks and credit unions only). Normally takes 1-3 business days.

So, just a thought. If you plan to use online banking to pay, I don't know if it would be processed in time... There is a credit card option as well, not sure if it would be faster.

Hope that helps!

Does this mean that referee can mail the letter before Oct 1, say Sept.28 and even if it arrives after Oct.1 but was sent out before Oct.1, its still considered valid? I'm little worried since my referee lives in the U.S and she hasn't send out the letter yet..and i'm considering asking her to send out by express mail?

No. It needs to be at omsas by October 1st. Express mail it and offer to compensate your letter writer for the expense.

I just submitted my application today (yay!), and one thing I think you should note is that OMSAS needs to receive your payment by the deadline in order for the application to be considered valid. Specifically, this is what it says on my application now, since I chose to pay by online banking:

Payment Information
  • The OUAC must receive payment by the stated deadline or your application will be invalid.

Online Banking (Canadian banks and credit unions only). Normally takes 1-3 business days.

So, just a thought. If you plan to use online banking to pay, I don't know if it would be processed in time... There is a credit card option as well, not sure if it would be faster.

Hope that helps!

Before any one freaks out about this. Please read the OMSAS 2016 booklet: 

All online banking payments and Western Union Business Solutions – GlobalPay for Students (bank‐to‐bank transfer for international payments only) payments must be initiated by this date.

OMSAS must receive payment by October 5 in order to process your application. 

You need to initiate payment by October 1st, not have it approved. 

Archived