Premed 101 Forums

University of Sydney MMI format

Hello,

I'm preparing for my MMI Skype interview with the University of Sydney for dentistry, and I'm still not sure exactly how the MMI will work. I understand that the interview will consist of 5 questions of 7 mins each. In between there is a 2 min break, bringing the total interview time to around 45 min.

My confusion is over the difference compared to a traditional MMI (2 mins prep/8 mins answer). During the USyd MMI we will be given the question by the interviewer at the start of the 7 mins while we are already face to face over skype. What do I do then? Is it normal to sit there in silence for around 2 mins and then begin speaking? All the while the interviewer sees you on screen? This means we will have 5 mins to speak, or ideally 3-4 mins and save the remaining time for prompts. This is much less time than the normal 8 mins. Or are we expected to begin speaking soon after receiving the question, without much prep. I don't want to end up looking silent and awkward! Also from what I understand we can't make any notes?

Finally, can anyone confirm that the final ranking for dentistry is 50% MMI and 50% admissions test (eg DAT)?

Thank you!

Archived