Premed 101 Forums

Is an incredibly low MCAT score the first time around bad?

PreMedJen

Hi everyone, I was just curious; I know as well as the next Pre-Med student that a stellar MCAT score is a must if you even want to be taken seriously by the admissions offices. I was just wondering, even though many Canadian schools take the most recent MCAT score (and US schools...? do they do this too, forgive me as I have not looked into their analysis of the test yet) does it reflect poorly on you in any way, if you have a very poor MCAT score in one of you two or more attempts? Also, do they even attempt to look at an increase in performance if you attempt it more than once? 

Canadian schools don't penalize prospective candidates based on the number of MCAT attempts.

Only U.S. schools care about the number of MCAT attempts. The most recent overall score is what matters the most. As an International applicant, retaking the MCAT and not significantly improving your score (especially, if your first attempt was already low to begin with) will likely sink your application. 

Don't even worry about it. Even if you get 118's across the board (lowest score possible), you're not eliminated, although it does lower your chances by eliminating you from applying to certain schools. If you rewrite and get a good score it's as if the previous score never existed (for Canadians school)

For Canada,  they take the latest score. Many applicants in Canada will write it multiple times.  For you own sanity, you should prepare well and give it your best shot first time around so that you do not have to re-write.

MCAT is used along with GPA (and sometimes Casper) as scores and/or thresholds to get to the interview stage.

14 hours ago, Energy said:

Canadian schools don't penalize prospective candidates based on the number of MCAT attempts.

Only U.S. schools care about the number of MCAT attempts. The most recent overall score is what matters the most. As an International applicant, retaking the MCAT and not significantly improving your score (especially, if your first attempt was already low to begin with) will likely sink your application. 

So is this to imply that a significant improvement reflects better? Or the fact that you a) had to write it multiple times and b ) did not do well the first (or one of the times) is what sinks your application? 

14 hours ago, SoraAde said:

Don't even worry about it. Even if you get 118's across the board (lowest score possible), you're not eliminated, although it does lower your chances by eliminating you from applying to certain schools. If you rewrite and get a good score it's as if the previous score never existed (for Canadians school)

Do you know if it is a void kind of thing, or are all your scores available to admissions offices? 

Just now, PreMedJen said:

Do you know if it is a void kind of thing, or are all your scores available to admissions offices? 

I believe you have to submit all your scores to OMSAS, but not 100%. Either way, because they are assessed at a cut off for most schools your previous scores will not hold any sway. I know McMaster, for example, does not even upload the science sections to their applicant database thing even though OMSAS reports it to them, just CARS.. other schools probably do the same and only upload the recent test versions.

1 minute ago, PreMedJen said:

So is this to imply that a significant improvement reflects better? Or the fact that you a) had to write it multiple times and b ) did not do well the first (or one of the times) is what sinks your application? 

Yes. If you rewrite and get another mediocre score, it shows that A) you do not possess the skills required to be a physician (in the eyes of adcom) and/or B ) you do not have the perserverence and work ethic to work hard and bump that score up. Note this applies only to US schools. Canadian schools do not care about rewrites

Archived