Premed 101 Forums

ROMP Electives

Hi Everybody!

I've generally heard that for competitive residency programs, doing an elective at a given school increases your chances of being accepted. I was just wondering how rural electives, such as electives organized through ROMP, would be viewed for the purposes of CaRMS. As much as I would love to do a rural elective, I don't want to spend a valuable block of time if it does not actually increase my CaRMS competitiveness at any school...

Any advice?

-Cheesehead

It's useful to think of *why* a local elective helps for competitive residency. Usually this is because they have a chance to gather more information about you in person than is possible through the CaRMS paper application + brief interview. You may be able to make some connections/get a letter from someone known to the program. It also allows you to demonstrate sincere interest in a program.

• 2 months later...

I did a ROMP elective back in the day. 

It solidified my desire to never go rural. 

It was useless for CaRMS with the exception of giving me expirences to talk about for staying in urban locations. So maybe some unexpected and limited  usefulness for some specialities and locations. 

• 1 month later...

Archived