Premed 101 Forums

OOP waitlist movement

Zulu18

Hi everyone, 

I am an OOP waitlisted at McGill and was disappointed with the outcome yesterday. I really thought I had done really well in the interview but again goes to show that doesn't mean much. I fell in love with McGill! and am actually quite excited by the prospect of learning french. I am thankful and grateful for a waitlist position but that brings with it a lot of uncertainty as you can probably imagine. I know I might be jumping the gun here but I have been glued to the waitlist page as well as the stats posted from 2016 by a fellow member - I was wondering if I could ask veterans/ppl with more experience than me could start a discussion about when/how much the waitlist in the OOP category would move?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Zulu18 said:

Hi everyone, 

I am an OOP waitlisted at McGill and was disappointed with the outcome yesterday. I really thought I had done really well in the interview but again goes to show that doesn't mean much. I fell in love with McGill! and am actually quite excited by the prospect of learning french. I am thankful and grateful for a waitlist position but that brings with it a lot of uncertainty as you can probably imagine. I know I might be jumping the gun here but I have been glued to the waitlist page as well as the stats posted from 2016 by a fellow member - I was wondering if I could ask veterans/ppl with more experience than me could start a discussion about when/how much the waitlist in the OOP category would move?

Thanks in advance!

Hey! First of all, congrats! Being on the OOP waitlist in and of itself is a great accomplishment already! The OOP waitlist normally moves when Ontario releases their results in mid-May. I believe the Western schools (UBC, Cal, etc.) are also early- to mid-May. This is when you will see plenty of movements as most will want to attend a school closer to where they reside. There will be another bump in mid-June when the $500 deposit becomes non-refundable. Those two are the key times when one should see more movements.

In terms of movements, I can give you some statistics: 

The OOP success rate ranges from 1.8% to 3.5%, based on the past 5 years of data. The average being 2.72%. Success rate is defined as those received at least one offer of admission whether subsequently registered, declined or deferred. There were 918 OOP applicants this year, so one can expect 16-32 total offers being made; average being 25 total offers. Since 10 offers have been made, the waitlist should move around 6-22 positions; average being 15.

tl;dr using the past 5 years as a proxy for what will happen this year, the waitlist should move to about spot 15. But please take this with a tremendous amount of salt as things have changed - there were +20% OOP applicants this year.

Hey thank you so much for your reply! So i guess there are two main times when it will move. I am curious to know where you got those stats (I have seen them previously on these threads). Also thoughts on +20% OOP applicants - do you think that will lead to less movement or more movement? 

There is an issue when the average OOP applicant success rate is lower than that for INTL applicants lol.. the average success rate for INTL applicants is 5.0% for the past 5 years..

918 OOP applicants this year vying for 10 spots?? this is incredible competition.

I have nothing but tremendous respect for all the applicants, independently of their status.
But I must say that OOP students are facing an additional stress that can be very intimidating.
Looking at the statistics gave me a feeling of vertigo.
I am not knowledgable regarding your specific issue.
I just wanted to congratulate you and to encourage you to keep working for it.
You're at the finish line. :)

2 hours ago, HoopDreams said:

I just wanted to congratulate you and to encourage you to keep working for it.

Thanks HoopsDreams, and congratulations on your acceptance! :)

3 hours ago, lmck said:

918 OOP applicants this year vying for 10 spots?? this is incredible competition.

You are absolutely right, it is quite competitive! But I don't know if post-interview the 918 number really matters because I think every year no matter the number of applications the adcom only interviews 50 - 55 ppl! Correct me if I am wrong 

8 minutes ago, Zulu18 said:

You are absolutely right, it is quite competitive! But I don't know if post-interview the 918 number really matters because I think every year no matter the number of applications the adcom only interviews 50 - 55 ppl! Correct me if I am wrong 

According to the current application statistics for McGill, they interviewed 54 applicants this year with an average GPA of 3.94 for OOP.

7 hours ago, Zulu18 said:

The number of people that interviewed is irrelevant at this point. What matters is how many places the waitlist moves. And perhaps more importantly, what is your waitlist number?

Archived