Premed 101 Forums

Questions about extracurricular & R Score

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this has already been answered before, but I'm currently pretty desperate. I'm currently in my second semester of CEGEP, and I wish to apply to Med-P (I've heard that it wasn't only limited to McGill, and that other universities also had similar programs). I started doing peer tutoring and wanted to find some volunteer work for this summer. I neglected the fact that the deadline for a lot of volunteer work or other EC was in early 2018.

What are my options right now? I researched a bit, and I believe that applications are sent around this time of the year, so any EC or volunteer work done after that wouldn't count (during the summer of 2019)?

Also, I just saw that the R Score required to enter the program went up dramatically. Do I still have a chance considering I had an R Score of 34.85 last semester? I don't expect my R Score to be much higher for my second semester either.

Thanks a lot.

I believe that you still have time to find some volunteering opportunities! If you fail to find any, working during summer or taking it off is also alright as long as you stay active overall : sports, participating and organizing events, running marathons if that is your thing, etc. But i am fairly sure that you can find places to volunteer in! Check out CHSLD and nursing homes too, they always need volunteers. 

And if you plan on applying next year, then the volunteer work you do in summer will not count as the applications are sent before March 1 (most people send them in jan-feb) and interviews take place in April. 

Try to get a higher Rscore because last year 35 was considered average, but it changed now because of the recalculation (I think that ancient 35 is  approximately 37 now). 

Also, you should definitely apply to other med schools in Quebec because McGill is notoriously hard to get into.

Good luck and don't hesitate to pm me if you have any questions :)

Archived