Premed 101 Forums

Ip Exp Eng To Md Path Of Action (Advice)

Hi All,

Background: UWaterloo EE grad been working in Alberta for 3 years now and recently decided I would like to pursue medicine (I can explain the why via DM or something) and looking to apply to UofC for 2017-18.

I've gone through the applicant manual and:

1. UW uses a percentage system. In the appendix of the manual there is a conversion table. Do I convert the individual grades to GPA then take the average, is it weighted etc?

My straight weighted percentage to GPA is: 3.7 final year, 3.3 cumulative. I understand this lacking, is it worth it / can anything be done about this or not really

2. MCAT. I have no bio or ochem (did take standard 100 chem (4.0) in first year tho) prereqs but I will be self-studying them over the next year to take the MCAT in 2017.

3. Subjective areas: I believe I will get some subjective leeway on the difficulty of undergrad courses (shitty GPA :/). I have been employed since graduating and believe I easily demonstrate most of the sections in this category (more on this later).

My plan is to start volunteering to get some healthcare related ECs and give back to the community. Does anyone have advice with regards to this? At the same time I will start my self-study of the required material for MCAT. I hear TPR is a good source but will that be enough? I doubt it. Anyone have further recommended action items?

I apologize for the length but I am genuinely interested in the field of medicine and am not pursuing this for the wrong reasons so I appreciate any advice, recommendations and information sharing :)

Hi All,

Background: UWaterloo EE grad been working in Alberta for 3 years now and recently decided I would like to pursue medicine (I can explain the why via DM or something) and looking to apply to UofC for 2017-18.

I've gone through the applicant manual and:

1. UW uses a percentage system. In the appendix of the manual there is a conversion table. Do I convert the individual grades to GPA then take the average, is it weighted etc?

My straight weighted percentage to GPA is: 3.7 final year, 3.3 cumulative. I understand this lacking, is it worth it / can anything be done about this or not really

2. MCAT. I have no bio or ochem (did take standard 100 chem (4.0) in first year tho) prereqs but I will be self-studying them over the next year to take the MCAT in 2017.

3. Subjective areas: I believe I will get some subjective leeway on the difficulty of undergrad courses (shitty GPA :/). I have been employed since graduating and believe I easily demonstrate most of the sections in this category (more on this later).

My plan is to start volunteering to get some healthcare related ECs and give back to the community. Does anyone have advice with regards to this? At the same time I will start my self-study of the required material for MCAT. I hear TPR is a good source but will that be enough? I doubt it. Anyone have further recommended action items?

I apologize for the length but I am genuinely interested in the field of medicine and am not pursuing this for the wrong reasons so I appreciate any advice, recommendations and information sharing :)

Your MCAT will determine a lot. Especially CARS at U of C. 

For studying I used Exam Krackers and I loved it, but beware that the first version of 2015 MCAT material is missing a TON of Psych/Sociology. They may or may not have updated it. 

I used a TPR course when I wrote my MCAT several years ago.. scored 33.. their materials are OK, but I think EK is better.

Good for your to take steps to pursue your interests. I know it can seem like a mix of scary and exciting all at once to make a career change.

While UofC does have a subjective component to applications, I would suggest that trying to pull up your gpa would be worthwhile. I realize you're working right now, but is it possible to get some extra full-time coursework under your belt? UofC will drop a year from your gpa, but a 3.3-3.4 will be challenging for admissions. Not impossible, but pretty challenging.

My advice on the volunteering/EC thing is to not pursue things that will simply pad your resume. Instead, pursue your interests and things that you love and do them very well. If that happens to be volunteering in a hospital, that's super, but I do find that many people pursue things just to play the med application game. It's what you take away from your experiences and how those things are presented that will make you shine.

Archived