Premed 101 Forums

You got in, so now what?

Guest saskmedman

Guest saskmedman

Hello, Saskmedman here;

Just wanted to start a thread for everyone who gets accepted to the U of S, since you should be finding out right about now. If there are any questions about what to expect, how to prepare during the rest of the summer, etc. post them here. I'm a med3 and would love to offer my advice, as I'm sure the wonderful moderators would as well. Welcome to the U of S College of Medicine!

Hello, I received my letter yesterday, so it's nice that the waiting is over. I think the letters must be moving pretty quickly, as I live in Edmonton.

Anyhow, can anyone suggest any nice places to live near the University? Any places to stay away from? Thanx! :b

Look forward to meeting y'all in August!

Guest kosmo14

Congratulations Sn22 welcome to the UofS. Check out the other thread I started on places to live in Saskatoon. Enjoy the rest of your summer. If you have any other questions feel free to post them or email me: d_vign@hotmail.com

Guest saskmedman

Hey newbies!

I just wanted to post an add here to you new guys for a few items I will be selling.

One thing you unfortunately will have to purchase is a microscope. They changed the curriculum this year, but unfortunately one thing they forgot to phase out is the microscopy. I will be selling an old microscope for $250.00, the cheapest you will find. When you start school you will be given a list of used microscopes, but they go fast and I guarantee you will not find one less than $300.00 so I'm really doing someone a favor here. I do have to admit though that the stage does sometimes tend to slide down a bit. It's a minor inconvenience, you just need to keep your hand on the dial to keep it from sliding down. Even if you paid to have it repaired I'm sure it wouldn't bring the total cost of the scope over $300.00 so let me know if you want it. MY e-mail is at the end of this post.

I am also looking to sell a brand new never-been-used stethoscope. This is obviously something you need to buy. At the beginning of the school year a representative from Schaan Healthcare Products will come in and sell you all the stethoscopes, reflex hammers, etc. that you need. You will not likely find a used stethoscope for sale, nor would you really want to, so you pretty much have to go new, unless you know someone. I have a stethoscope that I bought after searching for my first one for over a month. When I decided it was gone forever, I went out and bought a new one. When I returned home I was horrified to discover that my wife had found it buried in our son's toy box. So it is, as I said, brand new and never been used. I will however, sell it at a shade below the price of what the Schaan guy will, because I know there's way to much to pay for in medical school. It is a Littman Cardiology III, which is what 99% of us meds use. It is still in it's box with all the little attachments and everything, plus the heart sounds CD for your study purposes.

If anyone is interested my e-mail is rschubert@sasktel.net. Please drop me a line if you want to know more about these items or what else you need to buy. I will also be selling textbooks on this forum, but I will post those closer to the start of school.

Rod

ps: I moved this post to it's own thread in an effort to generate more interest. Not one reply yet! Yikes!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest goku

hello

I was wondering when the first day of class or orientation is. (basically, the 1st day that I have to be at the school) My letter should be coming this week with the information but I just wanted to know beforehand!

Thanks

Guest kosmo14

Last year orientation started the Thursday/Friday before the official start of classes for the first three years of medicine. Therefore this year we start August 25. That would mean orientation would most likely be Thursday Aug. 21, and Friday Aug. 22. Please don't use this as absolute fact, because I am just going by what happened last year, and things can change.

Guest Insomniac01

Kosmo's right, orientation begins Aug 21 and classes begin Aug 25. You might be thinking that classes begin too soon, but the first month is full of social events and the classwork is pretty light ... but not for long ...:lol

Archived