Premed 101 Forums

Interview scoring

Guest Spicy Aam

Guest Spicy Aam

Hey guys,

I am wondering how the interview is scored. Is it like a checklist, where the interviewers check off certain qualities (things you have done) and then assign a grade at the end? Or is it more of a holistic marking scheme? Also, does anyone know what a passing grade (out of 24) is for the interview? Thanks!!

Spicy

Guest nonce

Anyone hear anything about when we recieve notice.....i know last year the letters came out very fast (i think we recieved notification around march 30), but in other years, i know that the letters havent been mailed until late april

I wonder if it will be the same as last year, or, will they revert back to the old way....

Each interviewer gives you a mark out of 6 and you need 16 out of 24 to pass. As far as I know there is no checklist. I think the scale says something along the lines of 4 out of 6 is pass, 6 out of 6 is highly recommended...so on and so forth. So the mark is at the discretion of the interviewer.

Guest Folken Strategos

I remember receiving a letter of failure approx. one month after the interview, right in the middle of finals.

It really helped with my studies. </sarcasm>

Guest Folken Strategos

I did, thanks. We'll see. I think I did better, but that doesn't necessarily mean I passed. I have hope, but I'm not overly confident.

Here's a depressing fact: only about 10% of people who get an interview actually fail the interview. I feel special :D .

The year I got in, they gave us a handout listing the average GPA and interview scores of both in-province and OOP med students. From what I recall (I can't seem to find the hand-out) the average interview score for in-province was around 20/24 and for OOP was 21/24. I think the range of acceptances was from a low of 16 to a high of 24. The average GPA for OOP (there were 5 of us, from what I recall) was 89.5% and I think around 84% for in-province.

Guest blobbo123

How is your academic score determined? Here is how I currently understand their scoring. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

- Best two years,

- MCAT not a consideration if you meet cutoff

- Prereq GPA not a consideration if you meet cutoff

Is that about it?

Guest nonce

They take 76% of your overall two year average (two best undergrad years), and then add your raw interview score out of 24.

Then, they simply rank the ppl in order of that cumulative score.....and thats how they determine who gets in and who doesnt.

Guest Folken Strategos

does anyone have stats (specificly range) on the academic scores (eg. 85-95) of successful applicants in the past few years?

based on say last year's averages and interview scores, the lowest possible academic score that would guarantee you a spot was 85.56 since the lowest mark was 81% and assuming that person would scored a 24 on the interview you get:

0.76(81) + 0.24(100) = 85.56

That's your safest bet for last year although in all probability, you could've had lower than that and still got in. But an academic score of 85.56 or higher would guarantee you get in.

Guest nonce

they have a 6-year stat summary on the USask medicine webpage.....

From what i remember, last year's avg was higher than in the past few years....usually it is roughly 85-86%....but it was a little higher last year (87%)

Guest Folken Strategos

I've taken a look at that, but based on that alone you can't figure out individual academic scores. You need to know which academic marks go with which interview scores. The most you can do with the averages and ranges is figure out worst case and best case scenarios.

For example, for the guy/girl who got a 94%, we don't know what that person scored on the interview, but we can speculate that the worst possible academic score that person would've ended up with was around an 87-88. I figure your safest bet is 85-86, but statistically speaking, you could also get in with a 77-78, but highly HIGHLY unlikely.

Guest nonce

yeah, you are right.....i dont think there is really a way to get any more specific then what you have already determined...

I can tell you that last year, the raw score was not 85.56 (or, whatever the value u calculated it to be)...it was in fact lower from what i hear......i think it was around an 84, or so....

Archived