Premed 101 Forums

course load and English?

Guest choti

Guest choti

hey all,

I am an Ontario student considering applying to meds at U Sask for September 2005 admission. I switched progs during my undergrad, and while next year is my 5th year at uni, its my 4th year in my new program. I could safely fill my degree requirements with only 4 full courses next year...would Sask frown on a less then full courseload in the application year?

I also have a question about the English prereq...i have a half year writing course under my belt, along with a full year English course in pop culture...would either of these fill the english prereq, or should I pick up either another writing course or a different full yera english course next year?

many thanks!

Guest nonce

Hello,

In regards to your first question, no, they would not frown on a less-than-full course load. That being said, you must have two full years (30 credits or the equiv. at your school). After that, you are free to schedule your classes as you see fit.

As well, even though our interviews are closed file, a question about your current program and classes is bound to come up in the interview. Therefore, if you do decide to take only 4 classes, you should be ready to answer why, and what else you are doing to fill your time (while taking 4 classes in itself is not frowned upon, taking only 4 classes for the whole year and not doing ANYTHING else may not be looked at favorably)....

Basically, taking 4 classes wont hurt you if you are doing other things (working, volunteering, research, travelling if you take all 4 classes in first sem.....anything really)

As far as your question about the english class...im not quite sure. Maybe one of the other mod's could help.....or you could email admissions and ask them.

Hope this helps,

nonce

Guest RageoftheDragon

Provided that pop culture class is above a 1st year level, then I'd be fairly confident it will be satisfying the UofS requirement. Hell, I got that requirement with a 5 in IB, which isn't much really, so you should be grand. However, best to make the quick email/phone call to admissions to make absolutely sure.

RotD

• 2 weeks later...
Guest squeegy80

U of S requires one essay course and one lit course. I would think that you would still need to take the lit course. But I don't know how strict they are about this, seeing as you have other english classes to go with it. Definitely contact the school to find out, we can only speculate.

Archived