Premed 101 Forums

acceptance probability question

Guest osindy

okay guys, I was wondering, say you have the potential of getting a really good interview score, what kind of gpa in percentage do you think an in province has a good chance of getting in with. Will a 83% average be okay? I hope so because that's what I have.:lol

Guest kosmo14

An 83% should be okay if you have a sufficient interview score. If you ended up with a 16 or 17 in the interview then an 83 is pressing it a little. If you check the admissions stats from last year only 8 of the 60 accepted had lower than 85.

I hope it goes well.

Hey Osindy, I agree with Kosmo, 83 should put you in a good position if you have a strong interview. I don't know your situation, but keep in mind that if you have a good year this year, acadmecially, you still have an opportunity to bump up your GPA. :)

thanks a lot for the input guys. I have spoken to a number of people involved in the admission process and they seem to think that I would do very well in an interview. (boy I really hope this doesn't come off sounding cocky)

I usually interview very well for jobs and after getting the job, the interviewers always told me that even when I may not have had the credentials some of the other candidates had, that my ability to communicate effectively and get my points across got me the job.

The admission people I spoke with at the U of S seems to think that unless, I have some major brain fart during the interview or come reeking of BO that I should score "very well". That I why I was wondering about my gpa because those comp sci courses and finance courses have a way of wrecking havoc on one's gpa, and taking science classes after a 5 year absence from the subject matter doesn't help much:D I think I can get 83% over the two year average though and I hope this will be good enough for admissions with a good interview

hey, if you're going to go into these interviews without confidence then you shouldn't even be there. Confidence should never be confused with being cocky though. That's the kiss of death.

Guest Phil667

I see...

osindy, It's funny you should say that... because right now I am really confusing your apparent confidence as arrogant, condecending, and cocky.

Maybe you aren't trying to be that way, but maybe try using a different tone when writing in a forum. It is hard to interpret your tone in these forums. Just a "heads up".

The way I interpreted Folken Strategos statement was that he/she respects your enthusiasm and confidence in the interview stage of the applications. For you to say that he/she should not "be there" if they don't share your confidence is very rude of you. Folken Strategos has probably writen the MCAT (just like you), has probably gone to university and done decent (just like you), and just because they are doubting themselves at this stage gives you no reason to tell them that they should not "be there".

Phil

whoa there buddy,

I think you should maybe read it over again. I was never attacking Folken Strategos or making any statements about whether or not they should be there. That is not up to me and I sincerely hope that if they are considering this school that they get in. I was speaking purely about myself. Folken Strategos made the coment that they wished they had my "confidence" and I was simply pointing out that I had to go into interviews being confident because if I go in not thinking I'm going to get in or I'm not worthy of getting in, it will show while I'm being interviewed.

I believe that interviewers judge a person's demeanor while they are being interviewed. I don't want to come off like I'm not sure if this career is right for me because a patient will not like being treated by a doctor whose not sure about themselves (do you see where I'm going?) That's why I said confidence should not be confused with arogance. I'm going to go in to my interviews thinking that I deserve to be there just as much as the next person, but I wont go in thinking I'm the ish. You dig?

A little confidence in your abilities never hurt anyone, arogance on the other hand is the downfall of many.

Archived