Premed 101 Forums

Stats on Med I class

Guest doctorbones

Guest doctorbones

We just received some stats on this years med I class. Some of the information should be helpful for anyone thinking of applying for next year.

Combined Average for Best 2 Undergrad years:

Mean 86.75%

Range 80.20% - 94.90%

Distribution 90-100% 9 people

85-89.9% 33

80-84.9% 18

Degrees Obtained:

No degree 41.67%

Bachelor Degree 55.00%

Masters or equivalent 3.33%

Ph.D. 0%

OOP: 5

In-province: 55

Mean age: 24

Range: 19-52

Distribution: 18-19 2

20-24 40

25-29 10

>30 8

Women: 31 (48.44% of women interviewed)

Men: 29 (50.88% of men interviewed)

Interview scores (out of 24, need a min of 16 to pass):

Mean 19

Range 16-24

MCAT scores:

Biological sciences mean = 9.77

Physical sciences mean = 9.55

Verbal reasoning mean = 9.42

Writing sample range = N-T

Applicants:

OOP: 168 total, 34 interviewed

In province: 100 total, 87 interviewed

Out of those Interviewed:

First time applicants 101

Applied previously 20

Good luck to all those applying this year!

Guest Digiti minimi

Hi,

Just wondering if there were seriously only 100 in province applicants? Just seems kind of low to me. I never knew there were so few applicants to the U of S. Thanks

Guest kosmo14

The 100 in province applicants is true for this year. It will change for next year as U of S will now allow one 7 in the MCAT, I am sure this should nicely double the number of apps.

Hey all,

(ex-governorgeneral here...) Interesting stats compared to last year - seems to be a shift towards older applicants with more pre-med education (eg last year, 60% of ppl didn't have a degree at all; now almost the same % have at least a bachelor's). (Last year's stats are still at www.usask.ca/medicine/App...stats.html )

Speaking of sites, have you guys set up a USask med student site yet? I think the idea was floating around back in the summer.

(Edited to fix link)

Guest kosmo14

Yah, I would still like to set up a site, but school kind of got busy. Most likely I will work on it at Christmas time since we get from Dec 13 (the day of our last term 1 final) until Jan 6.

Guest kosmo14

Sorry, I can't really help you as I am not too sure. I have a friend who got in with a 3.91 and figures that to be equivilent to about 87%, but not too sure. I believe doctorbones is from out of province and therefore should be able to shed a little more light on this than me.

Guest doctorbones

This may be oversimplification, but I would imagine that an 86% would be a 3.44 on the 4.0 scale. That is 86% of 4. That is how I converted my average from the 4.3 scale to percentage and it ended up being a fairly accurate approximation, even though there are a whole bunch of extra steps the way the school does it.

Guest doctorbones

Come to think of it the OMSAS scale is rather different, so if that is the scale you are referring to I would use that chart. Approximating it the way I did worked very well for the 4.3 scale that the Nova Scotia schools use, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick for the Ontario schools.

Guest princejr13

Digiti minimi, this is what I would do if I were you: simply take the percentile grades you achieved in all your courses in your 2 best full undergrad years and work out the average. Do not try to convert your gpa directly to a percentile, the two are usually not the same. If however, your university doesn't put percetile grades (along the gpa earned in the course) on your transcript then I don't know how the U of S med office would treat your grades. Then the best bet is to just e-mail the nice ladies in the office.

Guest Digiti minimi

Hi, thanks for the input. I emailed the ladies at U of S today and they told me they needed to know what university I attend (I go to the University of Lethbridge in Alberta). So I emailed them back and hopefully I'll get a response tomrrow. I'll post my findings in case anyone is interested. Thanks everyone.

Guest Digiti minimi

Hi,

If anyone is interested, I did get an email from Heather today about grades and respective percentages. Here is the body of the email :

The following conversion chart will be used based on the letter grade assigned by the University of Lethbridge:

A+ = 95%

A = 88%

A- = 82%

B+ = 78%

B = 75%

B- = 72%

C+ = 68%

C = 65%

C- = 62%

Aside from the B- and C- conversions, it looks like it mirrors the OMSAS table exactly, taking the median score in the % ranges specified for U of S.

Good luck!

Archived