Premed 101 Forums

A thesis needed?

Guest rae21

Guest rae21

Hi everyone. I'm entering my 2nd year at McMaster, most likely in the Biochemistry Core program. However, I have a few concerns and I was hoping some Mac students/grads or anyone else could offer some advice.

The Biochem. core program is different from the specialized biochemistry programs because core students don't do a thesis in 4th year, which I've heard is pretty important to get into grad school. So if I didn't get into meds, would my degree be pretty useless? And does doing a thesis project help when applying to med school for any reason?

Secondly, does it really matter if I'm not doing a specialization e.g. molecular biology? I do like biochem and I would have liked to do molecular bio but my average wasn't high enough to get in. The plus point to core is that I have lots of electives and could minor in psychology, which I'd thoroughly enjoy. But I just feel so generic being in the core program, although I suppose I feel pretty generic as a whole. I've never worked in a lab before and don't have any research or any wow-like ECs yet and I feel like time is running out.

Sorry for the rambling. I guess any type of input would be much appreciated.

Guest blinknoodle

Hey there,

If you are seriously considering a research-based graduate degree as a backup, I'd highly recommend to do a thesis. Getting accepted to a grad school is not that hard with decent marks, but without any research experience it may be harder to find a supervisor and external funding. Furthermore, it would benefit yourself to get some research experience, to figure out if you are suited to research, before committing to a 2-year Masters or other graduate degree. You can look for a research project during your summers, but with a thesis, it shows you can balance both your own research projct as well as your other courses.

Now if I remember correctly, in the core biochem program you can take intense lab courses in third and fourth year. You could also look into upper-year inquiry courses. My friend in physics said they have a fourth year inquiry course in the summer where you travel to Hiroshima to learn about the effects of irradiation (she mentioned any science student could take it, and apparently someone brought their mother this year?). Those could be options if you can't do a thesis, although I am not sure it would mirror the realities of grad research completely, so I'd supplement that with something in the summer to satisfy yourself that you'd be comfortable pursuing it.

Guest rae21

Hi Blinknoodle, thanks a lot for the advice!

That's true, there are lab intensive courses and group research projects offered in the 4th year Core program. Also, I may be allowed to do a thesis if I have excellent grades, but it isn't guarenteed.

I was just afraid that I'd have no plan B if I couldn't get into med school after 4th year. Hopefully I can get some research experience during the summer to supplement. Thanks again!

Edit: I just realized I have another question. I think I'm leaning towards a biochem (core) major with a psych minor (without a thesis). What sorts of backup plans can I have with such a degree? I suppose there's taking a year off to work/build up my application, but what options are there in terms of improving my grades, if need be? I've never understood how to take a fifth year. Thanks in advance (and sorry for any redundant questions)!

Archived