Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD Programs

Guest Saberial

Guest Saberial

I know there have been a few threads in the past about the pros/cons of doing a joint program but I was unable to find them.

If someone has previously applied or is currently undergoing the joint program, if you could shed some light on this topic, it would be great.

Also, what are my chances, after completing a BSc? Undoubtedly, I will be competing against folks with masters.

Thanks!

Guest StephenNoor

Dont you need a Master's degree to apply to a Ph.D. program (usually)?

I thought only med school applicants, who also hold a master's degree, can apply for M.D.-Ph.D. program.

Guest peachy
Also, what are my chances, after completing a BSc? Undoubtedly, I will be competing against folks with masters.
Most MD/PhD students don't have masters degrees. It is not a disadvantage to apply with only a BSc. They are looking for potential to do research, not for established research productivity, imho.

Guest satsumargirl

Yeah, a Master's is not required. I know someone who did the MD/PhD program at UWO with a BSc. No idea what the competitiveness of the program is though.

Perhaps there is some confusion about needing a Masters to apply to a PhD in Canada...because usually programs say you need it to apply to a PhD (unlike say the US where you can apply to a PhD directly from undergrad). But practially, students enroll in the masters and then "roll-over" into the PhD program without finishing their masters degree. So it's all the same in the end. I imagine you may be able to "skip" that paperwork if you are in the MD/PhD program though :)

Good luck with your choices!!

Sats

Guest Steve MD09

I attended a presentation on U of T's MD/PhD program a couple of years ago. For the Institute of Medical Science (the largest graduate department at U of T, and the one most MD/PhD students are enrolled in), you don't even need a Bsc to get into their MD/PhD. They'll take 3 years of undergrad plus 1 year of med school as sufficient preparation (of course you'd have to apply during your first year of med school). That department also takes some direct-entry PhD students aside from the MD/PhD program, without having to transfer from a master's degree.

I don't think any of the MD/PhD students in my class at UWO have master's degrees.

Guest akinf

Oh really, that's really interesting. So, 3years undergrad + 1 year of medicine can get you into the MD/Ph.D. Is this in fact done, because I think this is something I'd be interested in. The reason being, I don't know if my 4-year undergrad major in biochem will help me with the type of research I might be interested in. Getting in after 3 years but still being eligible to do the Ph.D is awesome.

Guest summervirus

There's a student at the UofA that is in the MD/PhD program. She entered medical school at the age of 17 after completing 2 years of undergrad. She's currently working on the PhD portion of the program after completing the first two years of medical school and will be returning to finish clerkship afterwards.

Guest akinf
There's a student at the UofA that is in the MD/PhD program. She entered medical school at the age of 17 after completing 2 years of undergrad. She's currently working on the PhD portion of the program after completing the first two years of medical school and will be returning to finish clerkship afterwards.

That's intense!

Archived