Premed 101 Forums

Mentoring?

Guest blinknoodle

Guest blinknoodle

hi guys,

I was wondering whether there are official mentoring programs set-up at Toronto for med students (and/or MD/PhD students). I know Ottawa has a neat mentor group with faculty and students, and was wondering whether Toronto had something similar in place - or whether I would have to scope out my own mentors.

Cheers,

-blinknoodle

Guest cheech10

Yes there are. The student to student mentoring is not always as good as it could be, but the faculty to student mentoring is often very good, and set up at the request of the student. I don't know the details very well though, and they could be Academy dependent.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Wasn't there an official mentoring program established by UofT a wee while ago? I can't recall the name of it, but I do remember reading through the booklet that contained information on physician mentors from all the specialties, as well as the types of mentoring experiences that each could offer, e.g., clinical, OR, etc.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest cheech10

If you're referring to the CHOICES program, I think it was pretty much abandoned due to a lack of interest. There are other programs though, and one of the neat things is that our class and the 0T5 class were able to lobby for the creation of a new course called Career Explorations in Medicine (CEM), where we spend half days observing docs in the community. Sounds like fun and I know most of my class can't wait to get started.

Guest Toonces

There's also a mentoring program through the OMA that was originally started up for women but has since expanded. When you send in your registration, you can fill out this extra form that matches you with a mentor based on field, interests, lifestyle, location, background, etc.

Archived