Premed 101 Forums

Dropping lowest marks

Guest jacksonchan85

Guest jacksonchan85

Hi,

If applying during your 4th year, does UT drop your lowest 3 credits on your transcript OR your lowest credit for each year of study?

thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

First, UofT will only use the "dropping" formula if you have 5.0 full credits for each of your academic years (between September and April). If you satisfy that criterion then they drop your lowest full course mark from each of the three (or four, depending on when you apply) undergraduate years. They will not select your three lowest marks overall, i.e., erase two marks from one academic year, and one mark from another.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kirsteen, did someone from admissions tell you this specifically? If so, it is not very clear in their admissions materials...

Students applying after completion of three years of study will have their lowest 3 full course equivalent grades removed from the GPA calculation, after completion of four years their lowest 4 full course equivalent grades, etc.

The quote above (from their website) gives the impression that they will drop your lowest grades, regardless of whether they are all in the same or different years...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure I read the above policy on the UofT Admissions website last year. Perhaps it has changed this year? If not, perhaps my brain has become a little swoggy from the cold. :) Someone might want to clarify with Admissions...?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

The following is quoted from the uoft website. The last paragraph seems to be what has confused many of us including myself. So, if anyone has any insight into this matter, could you please post. also, i will contact the school on monday but until then any new information will ease my anxiety.

Full Course Load

The following weighting formulae may be used for students who have taken a full course load (five full credits) for academic credit, during each of their academic years.

Students applying after completing two years of university education and during the third year of a university program:

Converted average of the two completed years of university.

Students who have completed three or more years of a university program:

GPA will be calculated eliminating one full course grade per full year of study. Students applying after completion of three years of study will have their lowest 3 full course equivalent grades removed from the GPA calculation, after completion of four years their lowest 4 full course equivalent grades, etc. This calculation is designed to encourage students to take demanding, advanced courses which advance their education during their undergraduate years.

Guest cheech10

I'm not sure, but I think it is dropping all lowest marks regardless of year. That would be closest to the old system, where they dropped (or half-weighted) the worst year(s). A quick call to the admissions office could clear this up.

i spoke to admissions this morning and yes they do drop the lowest grades, which can all be from the same year or different years, from the gpa calculation.

hope that's all for now... got to go to class...

have a good day!

Archived