Premed 101 Forums

What is the UofT interview like?

Guest PaniDoktor

Guest PaniDoktor

Hello

I am sure that this has already been discussed somewhere on this forum, but could any of the med students tell me what the UofT interview is like? I am looking for any general wisdoms, hints, personal experiences ... Is it formal or relaxed? Is it somewhat like a round of Jeopardy, where they quiz you on specific details of world issues, canadian health care ... ? Are there ethical questions?

I also want to thank the med students for their time and efforts to inform us hopefuls :rollin . Your contributions are extremely helpful, thanks!

Guest PaniDoktor

Thanks a lot!

Also to all the premeds: the link to the Student Admissions website is finally working (for some reason I couldn't get it earlier). It is icarus.med.utoronto.ca/0t5/admissions/. Everyone should check it out, as it seems to answer any question you could possibly have about UofT Medicine. The students are doing a great job of keeping us informed!

Guest Biochem10

Someone has e-mailed me and ask me to post some info about the MD/PhD interview, so here it goes.

We just recently met some candidates (last friday) during the lunch which is held during interview day. Most of the students try to help out and answer all of your questions during the lunch. The interview consists of a panel of about 7 members, there are some MDs, some PhDs and some clinician-scientists on the panel. You will get a lot of questions that address your previous research experiences, your role and how you see your role as a clinician-scientist in the future. As far as I can remember there were no ethical questions. The hardest part is being realistic about what the program entails, ie. a lot of dedication and a love of research. If you're just toying around with the idea of research, then this is not the program for you. There are programs available during residency if you're not sure right now about a PhD.

As far as the MD interview goes, I believe there is a pretty accurate description on the FAQ thread. It's a pretty relaxed atmosphere (at least mine was), but I've heard that it really depends on your interviewer. My advice is to be completely honest and genuine with your answers. They just want to get to know you and why you've choosen to pursue medicine.

Archived