Premed 101 Forums

Sketch Post-Interview

Guest ioncannon97

Guest ioncannon97

Hey all,

Well, I got my first rejection today: Ottawa. I'm not really worried about the rejection since I have four other interviews and UofO wasn't really high on my list. What does bother me a bit is the reason they gave in the letter, something to this effect: "your grades were good enough but our evaluation of your sketch wasn't good enough to grant an interview". This has hindered my confidence a little. I had thought my sketch was pretty good, but, according to Ottawa, it isn't. So, if that is true, I was just wondering how much the sketch matters in the Toronto Post-interview evaluation (I have an interview at UofT). Thanks in advance for any input.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Condolences regarding your UofO rejection--at least it wasn't one of your top-listers, and hey, with four interviews you should be going in with plenty of confidence. :)

UofO supposedly use a set of strict-er criteria for assessing the sketches. For one, the non-academic information they collect is much more detailed than that collected by UofT, so if they are looking for something in particular among those pieces of information, and that's where you lost points, then for UofT, it could matter less.

As to the value of the UofT sketch, they say that all of your non-academic materials, i.e., essay, letters, sketch, count for 20% of your final ranking score. Therefore, in all, the sketch has a pretty teeny value in the UofT selection process relative to the interview and your academic performance. Given that you seemed to make it to the sketch assessment stage at UofO, then your academics must be pretty solid, and given that there's little you can do about the sketch you've already submitted, it's time to concentrate on being an interviewing star. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest ioncannon97

Thanks for the words of encouragment Kirsteen. You're right. I should just focus on the interviews that I do have. A rejection letter right before interviews start just shakes you up a bit though...

Guest PaniDoktor

Hey,

Like Kirsteen said, I wouldn't worry about OttawaU if you have four other interviews coming up. You'll almost certainly be in med school next year - be excited! To ease your mind (though I don't know if this applies to you), I will tell you that Ottawa prizes both research experience and COMPLETED degrees very highly. This year there are only 3 out of 120-some first years who got in after 3rd year. So,g ood luck with all your interviews, and stay positive :rollin !

Archived