Premed 101 Forums

dropped courses in the current year

Guest chiapet921

Guest chiapet921

Hi there!~ Hope everyone had a great holiday...

Well, there was a surprise waiting for me coming back from the break, and let's say midterm marks weren't that stellar...what'd happen if I drop a full year course? How will it affect my application? Obviously on the transcipt submitted back in Oct. would look different from the one in Apr...

Love to hear any opinions or suggestions!

Guest UTMed07
[W]hat'd happen if I drop a full year course? How will it affect my application?

U of T drops the lowest mark in a given year. So, a low mark in one course doesn't matter very much for U of T. Other schools have requirements with regards to the # of courses for full-time--so it may be problematic there. Also, if you get in--and don't have the required number of courses you may be in trouble.

Any case, dropping a course can't be considered a bonus. I don't know how poorly you did... but I'd probably try to tough it out. If you're intent on dropping the course make sure you read the rules carefully...

Guest Namgalsip

Actually, by dropping the course you will not be eligible for the weighting formula at UofT. That means you will not be able to drop any courses when calculating your GPA. If you keep the course (assuming all your other years had a full course load) then you'll be allowed to drop courses equivalent to the number of years you've taken. My suggestion is keep the course...you never know, it might turn our better than you thought.

Nams

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Namgalsip

You can write a letter to the medical school to explain your reasons. They may accept them and use the formula and they may not. Either way you can't find out what their final decision was.

Nams

Guest dogeatdog12

thank you for replying.

Do they usually accept the letter? do I have to provide medical documentation? I would appreciate more information.

thanks

Guest Namgalsip

Hey Dogeatdog,

You don't have to provide any documentation, just a letter. Although if you have any supporting documentation I would guess it would make it more likely that they will accept the letter. As for the likelihood of them accepting the letter...nobody knows! They don't reveal that information.

Hope this helps,

Nams

Archived