Premed 101 Forums

Who are you?

Guest Nightriders19

Guest Nightriders19

Ok folks,

So anyway, I've been getting REALLY curious about who my classmates will be...so at the risk of sounding like a personals ad, I thought I'd post a little bit about myself and hope that other people do the same.

I'm 22, and I just finished my BSc at the University of Waterloo. I've wanted to be a doctor since I was about 5 years old (yeah, I was one of those geeky kids who wanted to play with the Fisher Price doctor set ALL THE TIME!!!). At the moment, I am hoping to eventually get into physiatry, because I've always found physotherapy really interesting, and I've taught a lot of therapeutic warm water exercise classes for arthritis sufferers (I was a lifeguard for almost 4 years) and I always found it interesting.

I am engaged to a wonderful man (who just graduated from an MBA program) and we are getting married next June (woohoo wedding planning).:D

As far as extracurriculars go, I've volunteered for awhile with a refugee support organization, and a therapeutic horseback riding program for disabled kids. I LOVE to cook and bake (lots of baking!), and I work out a lot (running, swimming, etc.).

So, if any of you feel so inclined as to let this overeager keener know who my classmates will be, go ahead and post! I can't wait to meet you guys!

Laura

Guest gonzo23

What the hey... it's midnight and I'm bored.

I'm 24 and just graduated from UWaterloo in co-op biochemistry. I'm a Waterloo native (and without co-op I probably would have gone insane being here for this long). So needless to say I'm VERY excited to move. I've worked at Health Canada in Ottawa, SickKids in TO (turns out the same lab as peachy), and Merck Frosst in Montreal. I also went on an exchange to Brighton England for 4-months (ok so really i haven't spent too much time in Waterloo over undergrad :) ).

I'm a big fan of running (just finished my first half-marathon this summer thanks to the running room), and music. I've always been an orchestra nut (never went to band camp tho ;) ) and play the viola. I just took up the cello with my extra time this summer and if I can squeeze in any free time in the fall I hope to keep it up. I'm big into coffee shops and live music.

One interesting fact about me... hmm... I will forever be a muppet fan (hence the username). Who can't smile when you see a muppet? As a result right now I'm leaning towards a specialty in pediatrics but we'll see how that changes. OH and I'm living at College Park Apartments so hopefully there will be many people in the area close by!

Good idea for a thread Nightrider. And yes... I am east Indian :)

Guest CTU24

Hey Laura and the rest of 0T8...i would feel bad for Laura letting this thread die so here i go...

I'm male, 22, Jewish/Canadian and just finished my 3rd year studying human bio at U of T. Since UT doesn't offer 3 year degrees, that leaves me a bachelor (as in single) without a bachelor's degree (what a pun, i must say). I'm not quite sure what kind of medicine I want to practice (i have a few ideas though), so i'm sticking with the attitude that has gotten me here of keeping my options open and be willing to give anything a chance.

I'm a long time overnight camp person, having spent only 2 summers of the past 15 in the city (the last two...camp's over for me). Yep, I'm a TO homer. I was in the gifted program in HS, and so as to not relive my med app again, i have done hospital volunteering, plastics research, diabetes research (right now at MSB), and tutoring.

I am a big tennis player..used to play competivitely and enjoy all sports and working out. I am a huge Seinfeld fan (you'll learn that soon enough, and if you pay attention to the humor in my posts), love the TV show "24" (hence the name), and love politics ( i was recently glued to the DEMS convention). I am the oldest of 4 children--2 brothers (19, 17) and a sister (20)...so i seem to know a bit about everything thanks to them...i am somewhat of a vault of pointless info but it helps in talking to different people.

There...i think that covers my shameless plug for now...what do i have the feeling i've just filled out a personal ad?

let's keep this going...should give us a jumping off point when we meet

CTU24

Guest ioncannon97

Hey all, nice thread...

I'm male, 21 (nice to see from these posts that there are plenty of people in my age group....on my interview day I met mostly people 3-5 years older than me). I was born in the Punjab state of India and moved to Canada at the age of eight. Since then, I have moved around a lot...Ottawa, Etobicoke, Downtown T.O., Mississauga, and most recently, beautiful Saskatoon. This has made me extremely good at adapting to new situations (I attended three different schools in the last two years of high school...not too fun.)

I just finished a 3 year Biochem degree here in S'toon and am looking forward to moving back to downtown T.O. of which I have many fond memories. On the hobbies side, I don't really have many sophisticated interests...basically just sports, T.V., and Video Games. So if you ever want to get a game of B-ball going or get together and relax with PS2 controllers in hand, i'll be the man to contact. Look forward to meeting all of you!

Guest Adamanda

Good to learn more about the class. I cannot believe o-week is almost here!

I am almost 25. Just finished up a MHSc in Clinical Engineering at u of T. Did my undergrad at guelph in bio engg. Right now I am doing an engineering internship at sick kids. I have also worked at TGH, PMH and Humber River.

Live in tiny town of Sharon, just outside of nmkt north of TO and am a commuter :( it sucks but my boyfriend and I have bought a new home that will be ready next march so I am a commuter for life it seems.

Love sports especially hockey (leafs fanatic). I am a fitness instructor. love to play intermurals. I also love sailing. My user name is the name of my dad's sailboat a combo of my younger brother (21) and my name.

Amanda:p

Guest Nikhila

hey dudes,

some tidbits about me: I'm a 23 year-old East Indian female... My name is Vandana [pronounced Vun-('one' with a v at the front)-dha (like the word 'the' with emphasis on the 'th')-na) and I'm from Ottawa. My middle name is Nikhila. I did my B.Sc at the U of O in Biopharmaceutical Sciences with a specialization in Genomics and finished one year of my M.Sc in Genetic Counselling at U of T.

I'm a geek to the core and proud of it, have a quirky sense of humour, actually i'm just quirky period! I LOVE sports, and I'm an Ottawa Sens fan (even sprained my ankle cheering for them)... I recently bought an acoustic guitar and am on the hunt for a teacher in TO...

I'm not too sure what I'd like to specialize in and I change my mind every day it seems but right now I'm leaning towards family meds...

Oh and I like long walks on the beach, candlelight dinners..... :P

Guest PaniDoktor

Wow, a fellow BPS and a Sens fan! Like Nikhila, I also graduated from Biopharmaceutical Science at Ottawa U, though only this year (but I'm SURE I know you anyways!).

Aside from this, I'm a 22-year-old female that grew up in Poland and came to this wonderful land in 1994. I've lived in Ottawa with my parents for the past 10 years, so this move to TO has me thrilled. I will be living in a bachelor apartment on Carleton and Yonge ...ohh, the freedom. I'm not as crazy about sports as everyone on this board seems to be, but I do enjoy an occasional run or trip to the gym. I LOVE having fun, I love people, and I love travelling. I actually just got back from a 2 month backpacking trip in Europe, and I did a similar thing 2 years ago. You'll always hear me talk about leaving the country (Mexico for New Year's anyone?), but I love and appreciate Canada more than any place I've ever visited. As to my other experiences, I've had TONS of jobs (14 I think); I was a pharmacy assistant, a server for quite some time, a medical assistant ... and I did research at Health Canada (gonzo23 – were you in the Banting Building? I wonder if I might have met you?) and the Biology Dept. at Ottawa U. What else … I play guitar and I was once quite good. I’ve played at quite a few shows with a friend – we both sang and played – and even played at a bar once … it was so exhilarating! But now I suck, and I’m seriously thinking of taking lessons again just to regain my skills and be motivated to practice.

Oh yes, and sometimes I talk way too much - you might have deduced that from the post (which was an awesome idea, btw – thanks Laura!). I really can’t wait to meet you all; you sound like a diverse and FUN bunch! I’m happy that there are people out there as keen and thrilled as I am! See you on the 22nd :D

Hanna.

Guest Bleepo

Ok, so hear it goes ...

I'm a 23 yr old Chinese female who just finished my B.Ed. at UT. I finished B.Sc. in Waterloo just last year! I can't believe there's so many of us UWers in OT8! I majored in Biology and grew up in a medical family. I'm planning on going into family med, but we'll see what happens. I really want to explore my options and find out what will best suit me and my future patients.

I like to workout and I also love to cook and bake as well(yay Laura!). I like to travel too (who doesn't?). I'll be living at 89 Chestnut this year and am anxious/nervous/excited to start the new school year!

Looking forward to meeting all of you,

Amy

Guest peachy

Hey everyone!

I'm 23, and I graduated from York with a B.Sc in CS and Math about a year ago. I do love both of those areas, and am planning to keep them up when I start my PhD in a year and a half or so. I deferred last year, and have been doing some fun things this year. Worked in a genetics lab for a while, where I did only computer work ... I have never worked in a wetlab!

I am writing this from St. John's, Newfoundland, where I'm just finishing up a graduate mathematics summer school at Memorial. That's kinda fun because when I tell medical-type people I usually get a response sounding something like "Um, sounds like ... fun, I guess?", but when I tell people here that I am going into medicine, I get exactly the same response! :)

In terms of hobbies, during undergrad "York" was pretty much my hobby, as I spent almost all of my time there, getting really involved in student life. [ York is one of my absolute favorite places! ] I love theatre as well, and studied acting for a very long time, although I was pretty bad at it. I hope there will be time during the school year to indulge in seeing some of the very excellent theatre available in downtown Toronto. Hmn, in terms of more obscure hobbies, I love playing with mathy building toys, and have quite an extensive collection of Zome that will probably be scattered all around my apartment. I also spend far too much time procrastinating, as if you couldn't tell that already by the number of posts I have made here in the last few years...

Anyways, I am very much looking forward to meeting you all in a few weeks!

Guest Spritzer5

I'm a home boy -lived in TO my whole life. I love music and play the french horn -enjoy Mozart and Bach. I've wanted to study medicine since undergrad. Did an MSc at Queens and a PhD in Physiology here in TO and was set to be PDF when UT meds came along. I'm married to my highschool sweetheart :hat who has her own gift basket business www.giftfactor.comand we have a 2 month old son who is just adorable :P . Let the games begin.

Guest Nightriders19

Hey Gonzo23,

How weird is this...I am also a violist! You don't meet too many violists around :D (or maybe no one wants to admit they are after reading the pages of viola jokes on the internet:lol ). I studied classical piano for a number of years until I completed my RCM Gr. 8, and I reached a RCM Gr. 7 level on the viola. I still love classical music, and I miss my orchestra and string quartet days. I actually love most kinds of music except for country. My favorites are ska/punk, classic rock (and 60s/70s pop rock) and just about anything with a good beat that's fun to listen to.

Anyway, it's super-fun reading about all my new classmates...you guys sound like an amazing group of people.

Laura

Guest gonzo23

Nice! Oh the viola. I still have mine... and I'm not 'too' embarassed to advertise it. Fact is that they are always in need so I got a lot of opportunity to play with some amazing people even though I was a lot less amazing :o

Yes.. country is :rolleyes I'm looking forward to checking out the TO music scene.

I just saw the o-week schedule and it looks exciting!

Guest Teemster

Greetings all!

Who am I? Well...

Some people call me the space cowboy, yeah

Some call me the gangster of love

Some people call me Maurice [Whoo Whooooo!]

'Cause I speak of the pompitous of love...

But actually...

I'm a picker, I'm a grinner

I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

I play my music in the sun

I'm a joker, I'm a smoker

I'm a midnight toker

I get my lovin' on the run

Whooo Whooooo!

More importantly...

I'm 21, female, Bengali. I'm an inner-city girl. I completed 3 years of a Neuroscience H.B.Sc. at UofT. Social justice is very important to me, and I've been involved with such groups as Students for Global Justice. I love volunteering as a palliative care team volunteer...I enjoy painting, writing poetry, and Pilates. What else? I want to be involved with international health, and hence am leaning towards trauma surgery, obstetrics/gynecology, or family medicine. We will see.

In these last few weeks, I will try to get as much sleep as I possibly can. I can't wait to meet you all during O-week!

Glaciers rock!

Teemster

Archived