Premed 101 Forums

Being queer in healthcare

Just wondering if anyone has experiences in dental school/ practice afterward regarding being openly queer. Do you find an inherent bias towards you? Is there a don't ask don't tell culture? Have you ever experienced patients choosing to not have work done by you? Just curious.

I’m not sure if I can answer your question fully but I know a friend of mine who is a hygienist and had few patients who refused their work to be done by a “male” hygienist and preferred that a female does it. But as to being queer. I don’t know. I doubt it. 

2 hours ago, BMT said:

I’m not sure if I can answer your question fully but I know a friend of mine who is a hygienist and had few patients who refused their work to be done by a “male” hygienist and preferred that a female does it. But as to being queer. I don’t know. I doubt it. 

I've seen this happen at a clinic I was shadowing. It sucks, but it does happen sadly. 

More people prefer female dental professionals than male. They're seen as gentler, more empathic, more trustworthy, etc.

I think where you work would impact your experience as an LGBTQ provider more than the role you fill. The closer you are to a metropolitan center the less it'll be a thing.

Archived