Premed 101 Forums

Weird academic record

Guest seonagh

Guest seonagh

I'm wondering if anyone out there can pass comment on how U of T might deal with this situation GPA wise...

1991 - GPA 2.46 (2.5 credits taken)

1992 - GPA 0.00 (total of 3 credits, yes a 0.0 gpa IS possible one failed, two incomplete)

2003/4 - GPA 4.0 (total of 5.5 credits taken)

Of course I'm hoping to get a repeat of my 2003/4 performance for 2 more years ;) or close to it and to apply in the fall of 2005. Other than the dropping of your lowest mark from a full time year I don't see much detail on how the calculation deals with situations like older credits or non trad student.

Seonagh

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there seonagh,

UofT don't formally grant any special consideration for an older academic record or a non-traditional applicant. However, they do offer any applicant the liberty of submitting a special consideration letter to accompany the application if the applicant feels that it's warranted. If you have some extenuating circumstances surrounding your less than perfect years then you might wish to pursue that option. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest ioncannon97

I am not sure about this one. I would suspect that two more years of that awesome G.P.A. would make them all but forget about 91/92. I would contact them about it. Leslie Taylor in admissions is usually good about having a quick answer. E-mail her (her address is in the contacts section of the Meds Admissions site).

Guest seonagh

Well I hope so Ioncannon I'll try the contact you gave.

As for extenuating circumstances... do you think they would buy young and stupid Kirsteen? :\ LOL

Seonagh

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again seonagh,

I was in a similar situation to you and received a sustained amount of negative feedback (and not much hope) from a certain Admissions person over a few years (not Leslie Taylor). I'd asked this Admissions person last year if special consideration was ever given. They told me, "no". However, when I asked Leslie Taylor earlier this year if I could submit a special consideration letter (as suggested in the UofT website) she said that I could, but that I should get it to the office as soon as possible since, without it, my file could automatically be cut during an initial, January "low GPA" cull.

I did write a letter (and one that I felt was good, strong and not at all whiny) and somehow managed to achieve what I was originally led to believe impossible: I was granted an interview. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived