Premed 101 Forums

Chemistry consider Life Science?

Guest cmleung

Guest cmleung

Hi,

I would like to know if the chemistry courses I took in University of Waterloo consider Life Science. Since in the OMSAS it says,

Life Sciences: Anatomy, Biochemistry, Biology, Botany, Clinical Biochemistry, Immunology, Microbiology, Molecular, Genetics & Molecular Bioloty, Nutritional Sciences, Pharmacology & Toxicology, Physicology, Zoology;

Thanks

Cecilia

Guest cmleung

Hi,

I am still very confuse.... The list is indicated the life science programs that is available, most first year of those programs has Chem and Phy, doesn't they count into the medical school pre-req then? I am trying to know how many pre-req courses I need to take before applying to U of T.. I did computer science in UW, which was in the Math Faculty, the restriction didn't really allow me to take much science courses back then.

Cecilia

Guest weerdo

degree for requirements for your ungergrad are not the same as med school. In UG you need first year chemistry for a biology major, but an english major doesn't. Any 2 credits in a life science (biology,neroscience,psychology,paramedicine) will suffice.

Guest orange

Hi,

May I ask is Psychology taking outside of U of T consider life science? Since Cecilia's list from OMSAS didn't include psychology and weerdo mention psychology. thank you

Guest Steve U of T

I don't think any school considers chemistry a life science for the simple reason that chemistry is not a life science. Chemistry is a physical science, at least at the introductory level. Some chemistry departments may offer biological chemistry, which can be similar to biochemistry, and might count as a life science, although these are generally upper year courses. Life science students are required to take introductory chemistry, but that does not make it a life science.

Psychology is certainly related to life, but there is a question as to whether it's a true science. Some schools consider psychology a science, while some consider it a social science. U of T falls into the former category. I'm not entirely sure if U of T will accept psychology as a life science if you took it at a school that teaches it as a social science, although I suspect they do.

Guest thesaug

UofT will designate the psychology course according to the institution that course was taken at. For example, I took Psych 020 at Western, where psychology falls under the social science department. Therefore, UofT did not count it towards the life science pre-req. On the other hand, i took adult aging and development, a psych course through UofT last summer, which UofT did count towards the fulfillment of the life science pre-req.

Archived