Premed 101 Forums

Med vs. Law students at UofT

Guest RXK

Guest RXK

Hello,

medical students vs. law students at the university. any impressions? also, information on demographics will be appreciated.

thanks,

RXK

Guest RXK

Hello Mydream88,

just some general observations will due...

recently, i've have heard many negative comments about the current graduating law class such as the students are "back stabbers," "fierce competitors," "just not very nice," and the list goes on. i've heard such comments from numerous people, but i obviously know that this is not the truth and the opinions are very biased and do not reflect the whole student body! but, i was just wondering why i've heard such good things about the med students in contrast to what i have heard about the law students.

RXK

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Oren Ishii

This is a silly question.

Law students and med students do not interact often at U of T or any other school.

The legal and medical careers are very different.

The process of becoming a practicing physician differs markedly from that of a practicing barrister.

The corporate world is vastly different from that of the health science world - reflected in the voting habits of each community, health practicioners flock to the Reds[Liberals] (and sometimes orange) whereas the suits prefer Blue[the Conservatives].

Obtaining a "good" articling job, i.e. one at a Bay Street law firm requires in addition to having a high standing in the class a lot of shmoozing.....obtaining a "good" residency in MEDS likely requires high class standing and little or no shmoozing....

In short, backstabbing exists in all walks of life, in any career doesn't matter where you are. Backstabbing is inherently much more prominent in the corporate world than in the much more ethically sound world of medicine. Such a ruthless environment, likely attracts and fosters aggresive competion or "backstabbing" as you eloquently put it.

I have good friends who are or have been through MEDS or law school (I even know a lady who did both). They are all fantastic people. I have also met coleagues of my friends who are as wonderful as them and some who are real a**es.

In any case this particular post was a silly silly childish question, and I can't believe I just waisted my time responding to it.

Guest frogcanada

Lawyers practice in all spheres, corporate/industry and public institutions, as do doctors. I don't know that it is fair to use that as a major differentiating quality.

Archived