Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD News anyone?

Guest Chapsony

Guest Chapsony

hi all,

just wondering if anyone who applied to the combined program has heard from UofT?

I thought last year all applicants to the program had heard at this point in the game. So, is it correct to think that if you haven't heard than they are not considering your application anymore?

thanks

sony

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'm not sure about the UofT MD/PhD timelines this year, but in previous years successful MD/PhD applicants heard back earlier than MD program applicants.

When I applied to the UofT MD/PhD program a couple of years ago, the folks in the MD/PhD office were quite good about providing application status over the phone. If you're feeling particularly plucky, why not give them a shout? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest mydream88

so do the MD/PhD students count in terms of class seats? If so, does anyone know how many MD/PhD acceptances are usually given each year?

mydream88:)

p.s congratulations to the MD/PhD acceptees!!:rollin

Guest blinknoodle

I think you are probably out of luck for MD/PhD if you haven't heard back already, although I'm sure the program can confirm/deny that. I know of two successful applicants who accepted their offers in early March (heck, and I don't know very many people who applied!). Since they only have 6 spots, the offers come out in waves as people accept/reject their offer. Mydream, I think the 6 spots are part of the 198 spots Toronto has for the MD program.

Cheers,

-blinknoodle

Guest 2 plus 2 is 4

Hey blinknoodle,

If I recall correctly you received an MD/PhD interview, were you one of the lucky ones to get an acceptance? If so, congrats!

Guest blinknoodle

Unfortunately, Toronto and I just weren't meant to be together. It was mutual, though. :) I have decided to pursue the degrees separately since the research area I'm interested in is relatively specialized and would rather go to a different institution.

-blinknoodle

Guest Chapsony

Hey All,

Thanks for the posts. I know the office is really busy right now and I am not in a big rush to find out. I was just wondering if other people had heard. hey blink, you said acceptances come out in batches, does that mean that people still have a chance at the program at this stage in the game? I get the feeling that you interviewed as well, but you said that U of T is not a good "fit" for you. Did you already receive a letter?

Just wanted to say that this forum is a great idea...although, since I discovered it, I have been thinking about my status a lot more :b

best,

sony

Guest blinknoodle

Hey sony,

I did interview this year for MD/PhD and have yet to hear back from them, hence why I said it was mutual. I have taken a no response to mean I am out of luck.

Sure, there still may be a chance, but the way I figure it, acceptances have been going out since the first interview weekend in January, with the majority going out in March. There has been quite a bit of time since then for different rounds to go out (after student reject their acceptances), so I figure they have already matched for the 6 spots.

I guess, if someone rejects at this point, sure they'd go to the next one of the list. Although it is possible, I think, realistically, the chance is moot.

I haven't approached Sandy yet, but if you're interested I'm sure she wouldn't mind giving you some idea of whether they have enough candidiates. I don't think they will be sending out rejections out until June, just in case.

Cheers,

-blinknoodle

• 2 weeks later...

Archived