Premed 101 Forums

Apartments in T.O.

Guest PaniDoktor

Guest PaniDoktor

Allright ....

I'm going to be very bold and get ahead of myself here ...

Can someone suggest a good link to look for appartments in TO for August 2004? I tried the Star, but those postings seem pretty immediate (and EXPENSIVE ... yikes).

Also, realistically, how much am I looking to pay if I want to live in a bachelor appartment within walking distance to UotT and the hospitals. Don't be gentle, I can handle the truth :P .

Thanks!

Guest Steve U of T

You might consider getting a real estate agent. Their commission is paid by the lessor, so as a lessee it costs you nothing. Still, the best time to look for rental properties is about 1-2 months before you plan to move in, so it's a bit soon to be looking. I don't know anybody currently living in a bachelor apartment, although I know people living in 1 bedroom condos along Bay St., and they pay $1300-1600/month. A bachelor would probably be a couple hundred dollars less.

Of course, Bay St. is mostly luxury condos, with gym/pool facilities, security, and often a rooftop patio, so the prices tend to be high, although they're really not that bad. The $1600 condo I mentioned is technically a 1 bedroom, although it has a den and solarium both large enough to hold a bed and desk, so it can be split three ways.

You can find much cheaper places in other locations, although Bay/College is probably the ideal location for a U of T med student.

Guest cosmeticgrl

I moved to TO six years ago from Saskatoon, and the price difference just about killed me initially. I shared a floor of a house with another girl when I first got here at College and Euclid, which is a nice neighbourhood, and only a 20 minute walk to MSB. We paid $400 each for the floor, and it was full of mice and bugs. We left after 6 months of toughing it out. I then went the clean but cheap route, renting a room in a house with a family, for $450 a month in the same neighbourhood. No bugs, and I think that's all I really have to say. I've since moved out to Jane and Bloor, which is a 45 minute subway ride to MSB, and rent a two bedroom apartment (one floor of a house) for $1000 a month. A good friend of mine lives in the highrises just north of MSB on St. George and pays $950 a month for a *small* but clean one bedroom.

This might give you an idea of what you should be expecting to pay for a decent place.

Guest TabeshDDS

hey all,

is anyone interested in moving to a house near the campus that is rented out exclusively by dental and medical students? i want to get a house like this, so let me know if you are interested!

Archived