Premed 101 Forums

Rejection feedback

Guest Twin Tulip

Guest Twin Tulip

Hi you guys:

In the past, has anyone on this board gone to the Admissions Office to enquire about why their application was rejected? I'd love to get feedback from them...I originally assumed it was my undergraduate GPA...but now I'm not so sure! Do they appreciate drop-ins, or is there anyone specific I should make an appointment with? I seem to vaguely remember someone mentioning getting U of T's feedback...any advice? Thanks! T.Tulip

Guest mydream88

Dear Twin Tulip,

hello :)

In the past, U of T med admissions offered feedback regarding your application. From what I understand, it is no longer current practice to do so, as they felt it gave ppl a false sense of hope. That said, I still don't think it would be a waste of time to call the admissions office (I would not drop by, it's less forceful to call I think ;) ) and try to feel out the conversation, to determine if it is appropriate to ask for feedback. I would wait until after may though as right now they are completing their decisions on the current applicant pool and are therefore probably busy and will therefore not be as willing to divulge information.

good luck :)

mydream88

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Twin Tulip,

I echo mydream88's thoughts. A bunch of years ago applicants used to be able to book appointments with the UofT Admissions Office officers. (I had one way back then and found it useful.) A couple of years ago the UofT Admissions folks provided application feedback over the phone. I recall in the summer of 2001 I was provided with a review of my file, where I was told by Admissions that my essay was the primary torpedo in my file. As of last year, however, the Admissions Office implemented the policy of not providing any application feedback. I haven't heard why, and it's unfortunate in ways.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

I just read your post in the other thread (to avoid perpetuating two threads I'll tack a response here). During my previous file reviews I too, was a graduate applicant. Last year, when I approached UofT for a file review, it did not appear that graduate applicant status made a difference. That is, as of last year, no matter what type of applicant you are, file reviews shall not be provided.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Twin Tulip

Hmm so feedback is not likely...that's too bad. But thanks for the speedy response - the people on this forum are just incredible! Mydream and Kirsteen, I've been following both of your application journeys for some time (your backgrounds are similar to mine) -- I wish you both the best of luck!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Twin Tulip,

I just sent you a wee private message. If you've never checked your inbox before, go have a wee look (many folks don't). :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest mydream88

Dear Twin Tulip,

thank you for your kind words :)

I too wish you the very best of luck. I am glad that you have joined on at this forum. I cannot tell you how glad I am to be a part of it :)

dont give up, it sounds like you are a superb candidate. Other schools, including Ottawa, do consider graduate work seperately in the event of undergraduate performance not making their cut-offs. Perhaps with more time you will have even more research productivity under your belt, and with a little tightening of your entrance essay, you could be successful :D

mydream88

Guest codloghorn

kirsteen, when u say the admission office claimed your application was the "torpedo" in your file, what do you mean? was your essay not good, or did you say something in the essay that shouldn't have been said? :rolleyes

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there codloghorn,

I was told that my essay had received a low score from the file reviewer(s). I was not given any specific reasons for the low assessment. However in retrospect, when I compare that old essay with that which I submitted this year, the difference in both, the essay and the results thus far, is substantial. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UTMed07

I think the lack of feed back is somewhat unfortunate. That said, you can probably figure it out... if you think about it some. I got feedback from one school the year before I got in--it confirmed what I had thought the problems were.

...when I compare that old essay with that which I submitted this year, the difference in both, the essay and the results thus far, is substantial.
It is interesting that you say that... seems the essay does make a significant difference.

Archived