Premed 101 Forums

For grad students who received interviews this year

Guest Twin Tulip

Guest Twin Tulip

Hi there!

I have been checking these boards for over a year now, and find it so helpful! I got my a rejection letter as a Grad Applicant to U of T last week. I'm just wondering for my next year's application, would those grad students out there who DID receive interviews mind divulging their undergraduate, weighted GPAs?? I've heard that the cut-off is 3.0 but you need at least a 3.3-3.5 to be considered! I fall at ~3.4 (bad first 2 years of undergrad years ago have followed me like a bad shadow, even though A's later on!)...even though my grad average is high, I'm wondering if it was my undergrad GPA that kept me out of the running this year!

Thanks so much! I have been meaning to post for months but never have. I can't begin to tell you how helpful it is! And good luck to those who are waiting to hear - as well as to those grad applicants who got the May 7th interviews! T.Tulip.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I've heard that the cut-off is 3.0 but you need at least a 3.3-3.5 to be considered!
Like, you, I didn't have a stellar beginning to undergraduate life. However, based on my own experience (having received a UofT interview this year), as well as what I've heard from others who are closer to the selection process, the above is false. That is, you don't need a 3.3-3.5 undergraduate GPA to be considered for a UofT interview as a graduate applicant.

From what I've heard, if your undergraduate GPA is weak, and you are in the graduate applicant pool, a lot of emphasis is placed on your graduate productivity for the academic portion of the pre-interview assessment. Therefore, if your undergraduate academics are not the strongest component of your application, then it would be in your best interests to make sure that your graduate work is very strong.

However, don't forget that the non-academic portion of the UofT pre-interview assessment is also very important. Thus, two sets of factors that you may wish to consider focusing on, in lieu of undergraduate GPA, are your graduate productivity and your non-academic components (sketch, essay and reference letters). :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Ollie

Hi,

I agree with Kirsteen here. I haven't actually calculated my adjusted GPA, but I think that it's probably around 3.2 (damn those first 2 years of undergrad!), and I have received an interview. My graduate GPA is 4.0, and I think that I have been fairly productive for a Master's student (first author paper, 5 published abstracts, a ton of posters). Also, my reference letter from my supervisor was probably pretty strong. I haven't actually seen it, but I get the feeling. Other than that, my ec's are fairly standard, I think. As UofT admissions are a big black box, I would definitely say that you should try again as your GPA is likely not the problem! :)

Guest Twin Tulip

Thanks so much Ollie and Kirsteen...I am just trying to figure out what the secret is! I have a first author publication, a few abstracts, posters and presentation awards...and I worked quite hard on my essay! Have lots of applicable extracurriculars too, I think...

So I am not sure what the problem is! Have to really think about the reference letters, I suppose...my grad supervisor is known for not being the most articulate...but it's not something I could tell him...Anyhow, I'm glad I can rule out that undergraduate GPA...thanks.

I hope you guys hear some good news!

Archived