Premed 101 Forums

how intensive is calgary's program?

Guest medinvan

Guest medinvan

hi,

another question,

Since calgary is 3 years, how intensive is the program during the year? Are there more courses to take, more labs to do, more things to study etc stuffed into a shorter timeframe than UT, or is this workload roughly the same?

Is there much "time off" ie independent study time? From the day-to-day schedule they included in the electronic package of information, the weeks look pretty filled up.

How much PBL is there, and exactly, what do you do in PBL? (vs UT) Is PBL effective and efficient in terms of learning the "correct" answer to a problem?

and on an unrelated note, are there many restaurants/food places near the med school?

THanks again.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi,

I can't comment on the new curriculum as I haven't seen how the weeks are laid out. If our curriculum is anything to go by though, I've found it well balanced in terms of types of learning modes, e.g., lecture, lab and small groups (PBL).

Regarding restaurants, the medical school adjoins the Foothills Medical Centre. There is one cafeteria in the medical school itself and two in the hospital. There is also a Good Earth coffee shop in the hospital that sells fantastic tuna almond sandwiches (among other nibblies). Just across the road from the school building is a Tim Horton's, Keg, Moose's (pub) and an Italian eatery that's great for the odd lunch.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Lurkergonepublic

I was comparing the new curriculum to the old with a third year student I met with. His impressions were that it was mostly the same, but with bigger tests, less frequently than before. So more is covered on an exam, but there are fewer of them. They have also added a whole week of review before each exam, which I don't think existed before. The 'extras' (PBL, clinical, etc) were scheduled quite similarly as they have been in the past. As for independent study time, you'll notice in the schedule that there is a lot of it - more than at UofA, which is the only place I compared it too. If I remember it was usually 3 half days a week of IST (UofA was 2). And with rare exceptions there is only half a day of lectures on any day. The other half of the day is either groups, IST, labs, clinical skills, or something else. In my impression Calgary tries to give you more free time than other places do, so you have the option of getting a lot of shadowing in early to narrow down your specialty choices.

To add to the eating - I don't know how far off it is, but I believe some sort of a new food court is being planned in the new 'Life Sciences Research Center" (LSRC) building that is undergoing completion right now (it's connected to the med school). If it happens it should be by our second year I expect.

-oh and Kirsteen didn't mention the Wendy's and sub place that are also across the street (she must eat healthier than me). The Italian place is a Luciano's, oh, and I think there's still a pizza place across another road. And if you have really bad taste, you can get a plastic wrapped hamburger from MAC'S...mmmm. Lots of places to eat (and tables to brown bag it too)!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

Hey, I've eaten at the Wendy's once, but totally forgot about it. Good call. :)

Regarding the IST days, three sounds like about what we had in our first two years. Those half-days are precious.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Lorae

I didn't find the intensity too bad on a day-to-day basis. We work full days like other students, we study hard in our spare time, we love our weekends off, IST mornings/afternoons are precious... etc

***BUT***

Day-to-day intensity begins to wear on you after a while when it's EVERY day... when you get 2 weeks off in the summer, your counterparts at other schools are getting 3 months. We don't get spring break ... and you only get a summer break after your first year - not after your second year.

I feel like the pace is quite relentless... so you need to know how to pace yourself and effectively manage/prioritize your spare time.

Throw in a research project and some EC's and it makes for an extremely busy life.

:)

L

Does anybody know exactly when the summer break after 1st year is? According to the timetable they sent out, there is a 2 week break from une 18-29. Then, there is elective time from July 2-13. It says that 2nd year classes start on August 13, 2007 - so does that mean students would get another month off between July 13 and August 13 (unless they are doing repeat 1st year exams from July 16-20)?

Thanks!

Guest wylie348

Hi Lorae. What is the scope for the research project? Just curious, as I could be busy now making connections with some researchers I know, in an attempt to start thinking about getting it done...

Thanks!

Guest Lorae

A lot of people continue to work on research that they've started prior to medical school... we actually have 2 people that are running full labs (in another province)!

Other students make contacts and get involved in projects in their "spare" time...

OUr curriculum also had an opportunity to design a project and carry it out (over 1st and 2nd year) - but I'm not sure if there's any changes in the new curriculum.

hope that helps

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

Your research project is bounded only by your imagination and the resources available. The research can be within any area of medicine, and if you fancy a certain field, then it's a good opportunity to get your feet wet therein. You can get in touch early with preceptors in Calgary, and they are almost always willing to have a helping hand and mind for research initiatives in their area.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest wylie348

Sounds great, and and thanks both of you. Are we expected to discover something new as in a dissertation, or just demonstrate that we can do quality research, like I had to for my Masters' Thesis?

Thanks again!

:D

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

No, you're not expected to do a dissertation; in fact, you're not expected to publish a paper, but it's a bonus if you do. You do need to submit a report to your preceptor as well as the course evaluator but if you've completed a thesis or dissertation then you should be comfortable with the level of work required for this.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest happy2bme

So for the research illiterate, is this "project" requirement very difficult? Or is there alot of hand holding available if need be? I have absolutely zero research experience... and now I feel a slight sense of dread.

The last paper I produced was the "What's Happening!" newsletter in grade six. Some how I don't see a repeat of that golden article on new playground equipement cutting it at UofC....;)

Guest wylie348

Who knows Happy - maybe we will end up in the same small group and I can help you with the research end of things (I am sure I can help even if we are not). Statistics and research are right up my alley. Now on the other hand, if you have any ideas on a place to live right near the hospital, that would be a plus!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

You can choose whichever preceptor you like. So if you feel you need a little more support when it comes to the statistics and/or methodology end of research, then a supervisor with those skills can easily be found.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived