Premed 101 Forums

Application questions

Guest rebel spirit

Guest rebel spirit

Hello!

I will be applying for med school for admission in 2007. I know it's a bit early, but I'm already starting to think about the application process. I'm a non-trad applicant - 30 years old, I have a MSc but have been out of school for quite some time, mostly working overseas. I'm wondering if you could offer me advice as to how to best approach the personal essay component of the application. When they ask you to describe "an experience and its effects which has had a significant impact on your life" what tends to make the better application? Describing some horrible tragedy you lived through, some noble decision you made, running a marathon for the first time, overcoming a fear, travel, etc.

Also, when it comes to describing why you chose a career in medicine, what's the best approach? For me, I've spent a lot of time working in the health care field alongside doctors and have come to respect the work they do. The time I get to spend with patients truly inspires me. I love it! I get a lot from my interactions with them, and I believe they would say the same about me. I can't imagine anything more fulfilling than having this as a career. However, when I tell people this, I'm always told "well don't write that in your application" or "don't say that in an interview." I want to be honest about my intentions, but if I can describe it in a more appealing way, I will.

Any thoughts?

Guest jgray2

keep in mind that both essays are, when combined, officially only worth 5% of your pre-interview score. however, why i think it's important to write good essays is because these essays will either make the reviewer more lenient/harsh towards the other sections of your applications.

one way that i used the essay was to write about a long-term circumstance that i've been in and kind of hint that that was why my weakest part of my application (namely gpa) was so weak. maybe this helped me and maybe it did nothing -- i doubt it hurt me. is there a part of your application that is weak? if so, try to explain it away (without actually saying it -- the admissions committee can connect the dots) in your essay and essay topic. does running a marathon for the first time explain away why you got a 2.0 in your first year (hypothetically)? probably not. does having to raise three kids and watching them go to their first day of school affect your ability to participate in extracurricular activities? sure does.

finally, i would write about an experience that you know you could talk about very well and very eloquently. be descriptive and tell them what you've learned from that experience. make sure you describe it fully because unfortunately with the MMI, you won't have another chance to elaborate more on it.

Guest mg83

Well i can't say i have the right answer but I can tell you what I did and it worked for me. My 1st essay was about something tragic and what I learned from the experience...it was about the death of a friend of mine. The year before (i was rejected pre-interview) my essay was about my struggle to get my job at the hospital considering I was still in highschool at the time. I have worked in a hospital for the last 5 years and my "Why Medicine" essay drew extensively from my experiences there. You're lucky because you're essay answer is going to be derived from actual clinical experience and that will definately stand out...i my humble opinion anyway. Good luck with the application

Guest Lurkergonepublic
I can't imagine anything more fulfilling than having this as a career. However, when I tell people this, I'm always told "well don't write that in your application" or "don't say that in an interview." I want to be honest about my intentions, but if I can describe it in a more appealing way, I will.

I'm not sure why people would tell you that. Be honest about the reasons you want to do med - I'm sure that's the best way, and what you said sounds great to me. The fact that you actually have experience with patients and know you enjoy the interaction gives you insight into your own suitability to medicine that most applicants can only guess at. Play to your strengths - always the best plan.

Guest try2dstress

I agree...be completely honest.

My strategy in both my application and my interviews was to be as honest and candid as possible. Choosing to go into med school was such a personal decision in itself that I had no other way to explain it except by being completely truthful. It worked for me. I think it shows the admissions committee that you have nothing to hide. Don't do what other people tell you, do it your way :) Good luck!

Archived