Premed 101 Forums

Converting GPA

Guest Dockrh

Guest Dockrh

Can anybody clearly explain to me how to convert your GPA for med school purposes. I looked at the OMSAS conversion table and am a little bit confused.

dockrh

Guest bioboy2007

This is for schools with a 4.0 GPA scale, where A is usually a 4.0.

According to OMSAS:

A+ = 4.0

A = 3.9

A- = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3.0

B- = 2.7

and so forth...

Therefore, the only big difference between OMSAS and other GPA calculations is that an 'A' is worth a 3.9 instead of a 4.0.

I just deflated my A grades with a 3.9 in my calculations and kept everything else the same.

I have no idea how conversion works for schools with a percentage grade but I believe you substitute a % of 90+ = A+, A= 85-90, A- = 80-85...but not completely sure

Guest blinknoodle

First make sure you are looking at the right conversion chart: www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf

In brief:

1. Find your university at the bottom of the OMSAS conversion page. Figure out the number next to your university (let's say it is 7).

2. Go to the 7th column.

3. Convert your grade from each class individually from that column (in this case, 7), to the OMSAS score on the outer columns. So in this case, an A is 3.9.

4. Add all of your converted scores up, and divide by the number of courses, assuming they all have equal weights. This should be your cumulative GPA. Different medical schools calculate your grades differently - either looking at your two best full-time years, dropping your lowest x courses, including your summer courses, weighting your senior years more then your earlier years, etc, so your GPA will be calculated differently at different medical schools, but they all use this conversion chart.

If you are unsure what the letter grades mean, they typically correspond to the numerical values found in column 3. As an example, an A is 85-89% and the medical schools won't know if you had a 85.1% or an 88.9%.

Archived