Premed 101 Forums

my first rejection - from the U of C!

Guest muchdutch

Guest muchdutch

Hey all. Just thought I'd pass along my disappointment. My very first rejection from a medical school arrived today - huzzah! It's because I mis-interpreted their policy:

2. Applicants must have completed the equivalent of least two (2) years of full-time university education by the time of admission to this medical school, and must have achieved a minimum grade point average as described below.

So I have full-time status (5 and 5) for last year and this year so I figured I was safe, right? Wrong. I guess by the time of admission (which I'm assuming is in April/May-ish) I will have the full-time requirements but it's not early enough for them (or at least this is what I'm assuming). How frustrating! Why don't they just say they need two full-time years at the time of application? Perhaps this is a clause that is only necessary for people chomping at the bit like me! :\ All of my previous years have been full-time enrollment, just not according to the Faculty of Med's requirements. Grrr. There's a waste of my money.

Well, I suppose it's good experience for when I apply next year. And I guess it just signals the beginning of the very long road that is applying for medicine!

Guest riffraff

I don't think that's right, because I know someone that got in last year that completed their second year in April, and I know a few applicants that are currently in their second year that applied and so far have no problems. Are you sure you stated everything about your courses/courseload correctly on your application?

Guest summervirus

I too applied after my first year of undergrad and had no problems like yours. Granted, when I applied, it was years ago... but, I'm not aware of any change in policy.

Guest muchdutch

Well, this is by no means my first year of school. For various personal reasons I have completed a few years at part-time status. My first year in school I had 5 courses in the fall and then 3 in the winter (and of course a horrid GPA because it was my first year!). I didn't think this was considered 'full-time' according to U of C - I figured it would have had to have been 4 and 4 to qualify. Do you think they are taking my GPA from my first year? Am I limited to this method of review because I have done previous years (meaning: are only 1st years who apply allowed to have their current year evaluated?)? I'm sure that this year will be better than my first year, so is there any allowance made for that?

If anyone could let me know that would be great - you have given me a glimmer (albeit small) of hope!

They would have looked at all your marks from all your years. They don't just look at your best 2 years with 4 courses. Becase you don't have a lot of classes under your belt, the "horrid" first year GPA would have dragged you down big time and is most probably the reason for your rejection.

Grobz

Guest Jochi1543
I suppose that bad first year will haunt me for the rest of my life!!!:(

Welcome to the club!:rolleyes

What was yours? Mine averaged to 3.2 freshman year. Not horrid, but then my sophomore year wasn't particularly stellar either, at 3.35, so in between the two of them, these years have been dragging my cumulative down in a major way.:x

I think I top you all. I had a 1.66 in first year, but I have slugged it out for the last four years with about a 3.90 so my overall is just about 3.68. Just keep on doing well in classes and you will slowly bring the ol' gpa up. I am hoping that my good MCAT and good last four years will be enough.

grobz

Guest muchdutch

grobz you do top us all - or at least Jochi and I. I had a 2.91:o Boo! I have been working hard to bring it up, but life keeps getting in the way! A death in the family here, a nervous breakdown there - why don't these things happen in the summer time when all I'm studying is one course or for the mcat's?!? :rolleyes Well, I keep chugging and I'm determined, if nothing else. Only a few more courses after this year until I'm done my degree so I might just be applying to a master's program....

grobz - you give me hope!!!!!

Guest Jochi1543

Have you applied already, grobz?

You'll be our poster boy/girl for the "1 bad year syndrome":hat I expect to follow the development of your application and interview process with ardor. Forget "ER" and "Scrubs"!!!:rollin

I applied to 7 Canadian schools this year. I just found out that I made the cut-offs for Queens and I am hoping I few other places will want to meet me. I also think that it is even more important for us first-year-failure types to beef up the other aspects of our application. You never hear of applicant with a sub-par GPA getting in without stellar extra curriculars. After my first year, where I played basketball at the University of Lethbridge and got the academic probation treatment, I lived as a humanitarian volunteer in the Philippines. I dug wells, built houses, cleaned up neighbourhoods, harvested rice, taught English, gave health care tutorials to neighbourhoods ravaged by TB to help the people understand the importance of taking every pill in their prescription, and learned to speak Tagalog. When I came back I decided I would do what ever it took to study medicine. But I didn't just think about the grades only--I tried to round my existence and become a better applicant. I did a couple years volunteering at hospitals, and reading with grade two kids. I took singing lessons and got job as the lead performer in two musical theatre productions (that was a big stretch cause I had been a jock my whole life). I started writing children's books for fun and a publisher decided to publish my first book for next September. I also have novel that is being considered currently. Right now I volunteer with the Canadian Cancer society and I am a Boy Scout leader (which I have been doing for 3 years). I also studied my balls off for the MCAT and scored a 36R. Basically, I just tried to do what ever I could to make the admission committee forget about that terrible year.

I hope it is enough. If not, I guess there is next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the... you get the idea.

Sorry about the long post,

Grobz

Archived