Premed 101 Forums

AMA disability insurance

Guest windymountain2003

Guest windymountain2003

Hi,

Just wondering if any U of C student are using the Alberta Medical Insurance disability plan. I am thinking about joining it but would like to know if it is worth it. How much is it and in what year of medical school should I join?

Thanks

WM

Guest CrazyKath

Hey,

The AMA has a booth at our info fair within the first 2 weeks at Calgary Med. They provide info on disability insurance and offer sign up forms.

The cost is $75 a year for $1500/month disability coverage. Everyone I've spoken to (faculty, docs etc) recommend getting it ASAP once you qualify as a student.

You can go to http://www.albertadoctors.org and search for "Medical Student Insurance" for their pdf publication for more info.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest not rex morgan

I know nothing about the CFMS plan, but one thing to look into when signing up for disability is whether or not it's portable. It seems like the major push to get disability insurance early is so that you lock in before you have an illness that either cranks up your premium, or disqualifies you entirely. If you get AMA insurance, or CFMS insurance make sure that if you match to another province, or graduate, or whatever changes are entirely feasable in your life, that your insurance does not roll over or get cancelled. Ie you don't want to be thinking that you are forever shielded from a health questionairre, find yourself depressed and responsibly go get help, then realize that your policy only covers you if you live in the province you got it in, or only while you're a student.

Archived