Premed 101 Forums

Final PFO letters are here!

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

Well I guess everyone showed up for class because I got the final PFO letter yesterday! Have fun everyone who was accepted this year, hopefully we may meet next year!

As for my file review it still hasn't come, maybe next week. Did anyone find out anything earthshattering in theirs or pleasantly surprising! I am extremely curious as to my content...

Hope everyone has had a fantastic and productive summer, as for Calgary it seems Fall has already arrived!!!

Guest snpqueen

Yikes, I got my file review last week and it was very disappointing, and slightly confusing as well. Most of the areas (MCAT, academics, essay...) were around 2-4 (a few 5's :) ) (Oh 5 is excellent, 1 is very poor). And then my overall applicate score were 1's :( . It was not a good day last Friday when I was reading this.

I don't understand how all your scores can be 3 or 4, and then the overall score be a 1. Well no wonder I didn't get in this year. I will try again, perservence is a virtue.

Hope everyelse gains some information from their's, and that they make a little more sense.

Guest medsmurf

Hey snpqueen,

I would like to know the answer to that question as well. At least 2 out of the 6 members gave me 4 and 5's in every category and then an overall of 2?!?!?! I'm very confused how they came up with that overall number. It's like they pulled it out of their butt. It really doesn't give me much information to try and improve upon for next year. If anyone could shed some light on this I'd really appreciate it.

Oh yeah it was also interesting to see the differing opinions between adcom members. 5 out of 6 marked my essay high and then one guy gave it a 2. And even for my MCAT which you would think wouldn't be very subjective, most of them marked 4 and then one gave it a 2? It's all very weird to me and makes me more frustrated at the application process.

Still haven't got my rejection letter. Even though I know it's coming I still think I'm going to be quite depressed the day I get it.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

As is well known, some parts of many school's admission processes can be quite subjective. These include the areas of essay and letter assessments. This can also be extended to MCAT assessments if one marker believes that the Verbal Reasoning section is a good determinant of future medical school success, while another feels the same way about the Biological Sciences section. When I was you and received my score reports, I was thankful that a couple of Canadian schools permitted a small window into my application performance. Most don't. So if you're planning to re-apply, it might be useful to use that unique provision of information to improve your application in the areas where some thought you could improve.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest wylie348

Hey Happy - you and I have been riding this wave for a long time - finally over. I was wondering how I can request my file and if you can explain the process to me? I remember reading in past posts that the process has changed. I would like to review the file to find out how in the world I did not get considered - must be something! Hopefully it is because there were just too many excellent applicants! :)

Thanks again, and I hope to see you in the posts next year as we try again!

Guest happy2bme

Dear Wylie,

You can email Susan Taylor and she will email you the request form. Then all you do is fill it out and send them $10.00 and they'll send you a copy or you can pick it up.

I have finally received mine, and it was truly subjective. As for Academics....out of six people my scores were 5,4,4,4,3,2. 5 being the top 20% of applicants, 3 is "average" while 1 is "very poor" How can a person think I'm a 5 while another thinks I'm a 2???? Crazy.... However the nail in my coffin was my interview, apparently I'm too friendly and I tend to talk too much, yes this was actually written down. What horrible personality defects. The talking to much was due to me giving examples to many times, something that I thought was looked upon positively in interviews but I guess not. Actually my med student totally trashed me while my community member was very positive and definitly understood the type of person I am and was able to relate to many aspects of my character while offering in their statement where some of my true weaknesses are.

I think my healthcare experience has probably made me come across too confident, maybe arrogant, and I think I tried to sell myself too much making my med student not care so much for me. I also think that they didn't care to much for my age...but of course it was just my impression, probably my own paranoia.

Definitly going to reign down my happy/friendly quotient, shortening my responses and keeping the rest of my application pretty much the same and try again next year. Other than then interview the rest of my application was better marks than I had expected.

I am interested in anyone who received a file review and WAS accepted. especially any one who was on the beginning of the waitlist, I'm curious to see what type of " Overall applicant" scores that they had received.....

Good luck wylie!

Guest Jerika81

Hey Happy,

That really sucks that your med student gave you such a negative evaluation. I know it makes you feel like you should change how you answer questions next year, but that isn't necessarily true seeing as your community member seemed to like your answers. The unfortunate thing about the interview process is that 80% of it (ok that's a random number I just made up but you know what I mean) is luck. It was unlucky that you had a med student who didn't get along with you, and other people got lucky and really clicked with both of their interviewers. Wouldn't it be painfully ironic if you changed the way you acted in your interview only to get feedback from different interviewers next year saying you weren't very friendly? I guess I'm just saying that you should just be yourself because you'll feel more comfortable that way and be able to relax, which is key.

I mean think about this- a "friend" of mine had four interviews the year they applied to med school. Two of them went really well and two of them went horribly, but the applicant was the same in all 4 interviews. It was the interviewers that were changing and determined whether it was a good or bad interview.

Anyways, obviously these are just my thoughts and probably don't mean much, but I just think people who are getting their feedback forms back now need to know that the interview isn't the greatest tool (not that there is a good tool really) for determining who will make a good doctor and who won't, or in medical terms, it is not a very sensitive or specific test. So don't hold too much stock in what your interviewers said about you because it mostly just comes down to luck. So next year you may just need to drink some Felix Felicis potion the day of your interview:D (ok I am a nerd and that last sentence won't make sense if you haven't read the latest Harry Potter...)

Guest medsmurf

"So next year you may just need to drink some Felix Felicis potion the day of your interview (ok I am a nerd and that last sentence won't make sense if you haven't read the latest Harry Potter...)" ... very nice ;) I'm definitely going to have to get my hands on some of that for next year.

Guest breaker79

Hi. Has anyone else on the in-province wait list not received their rejection letter yet? I know class has started, but I havent gotten word yet.

Guest wylie348

Thanks for the reply Happy - and sorry for taking so long. Thanks for the info - I will email the office and request my results, and certainly pass them on to you. I agree with Erika on the one note - keep the interview natural - but I sure hope Erika is incorrect regarding the luck thing. I have met several doctors who I wonder how (from a social perspective) they ever got into medical school as they appeared to have great difficulty communicating with me or a family member.

I find it amazing when reading these forums that so many apparently qualified, but sometimes even more importantly, dedicated and eager, students are fighting to join a profession that needs them so badly!

I will continue to re-apply as often as it takes, but I really hope that greater consideration goes towards who we are as people and less on a snapshot of academic record or other areas. I guess the difficulty in that is how to find out what kind of people we are!

Well, good luck next year to all of us that fought so hard to fight for other people so hard one day.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest medsmurf

Wow...I still have not received my rejection letter (I'm in Alberta). Anyone else not get it yet? Must have got lost in the mail. Did the rejection letter say anything important? ie. any information pertaining directly to your application etc. Or just the usual "unfortunately we are unable to offer you a position..."

Guest happy2bme

Nothing important was said in the letter. Just that the class was full and thanks for applying. You can call the school to clarify if you're having nightmares about really being accepted but someone forgot to phone you scenerio...I know if I didn't have the letter in my hand that I would have been having nightsweats....Hey look at that... my rejection actually soothed me, who would have thunk it!?!?!?

Archived