Premed 101 Forums

Is there time for extracurriculars in med school?

Guest juicyprunes

Guest juicyprunes

Hi,

Just wanted some comments from current U of C med students about whether there is time for extracurriculars while in med school? I'd really like to continue/pursue some volunteer work if I get in, but am concerned about the heavy work load.

Thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

It depends on the person, but generally there does seem to be time for folks to have rich lives outside of medical school. There are folks in our class who hold down jobs, spend time with their kids, do volunteer work, socialize, ski/snowboard/play hockey, etc. You'll get a better idea of what suits you when you begin classes, but you'll probably find that you can fit some volunteering in quite nicely.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest juicyprunes

Thanks Kirsteen!

I'm actually planning to apply to U of C this fall.

Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with the city of Calgary as I currently live in Edmonton and was previously from Ontario.

I know this will be an unfair question as you can only speak for yourself, but can you comment on the typical "life" of a med student? Is it more or less stressful than undergrad? Do you personally enjoy the program at the U of C? How is Calgary as a city?

Thanks so much!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

I was previously from Ontario too and enjoy Calgary (the city) very much. It's smaller than some of the Ontarian cities and there's lots of good stuff to do and resources to be had. Plus, it's gorgeous, with the mountains next door and the rivers running about and I actually prefer the winters here relative to those in Ontario. Chinooks make winter liveable. :)

You're right, some of those other questions are pretty subjective. Personally I'm loving the program, and do enjoy a diverse set of a activities outside of it. My activities outside of school, however, will differ from any other possible person in my class. Again, although it can be stressful around exam time (similar sorts of exam stress as encoutered in undergrad) there is time outside of exam studying to do plenty of other things.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived