Premed 101 Forums

About first yr

Guest SaraKJ

Guest SaraKJ

Hello all,

I know it is kinds of early and silly for these sorts of questions but I can’t wait to know all the details about the program.

1. How many courses do we have each semester. I looked into registration form and 7 courses are listed. Are all these courses for one semester or one year?

3. How is the schedule for first day in case of hours and days in classes?

2. All the electives that you can start from the first year, are we getting credit toward the actual electives in 4th yr?

3. Are we able to do electives in hospitals other than the ones in Ottawa?

4. Any suggestion for pre- review before classes start, I have read in one forum saying to review biochem

Thanks a lot

Sara

Guest flying kumquat

1. For first year you take Meds411 for Phase I, Meds 412 for Phase IIa, and Meds 415 for clinical skills. I know that's not very descriptive of what you're learning so...

2. There's a public copy of our calendar that you can have a look at to see how our classes go throughout the year. Keep in mind that some classes that you see on the schedule multiple times are split up into groups, so you only have to go to one (eg. Anatomy lab first term, expanded clinical skills in second term).

3. I'm not really sure what you're referring to with this, and I'm not into clerkship yet so I don't know all the details. You can do observerships in 1st and 2nd year, and that might put you in contact with people in departments you're interested in, but I'll defer the rest of this question to someone else.

5. I wouldn't suggest pre-review of anything before. Maybe some basic concepts in genetics if you've never taken it before, and maybe a flip through an anatomy text if you really want to. Really though, Phase I is to bring everyone up to the same level (starting with, "These are the organelles found in a cell...").

Archived