Premed 101 Forums

Surprising questions in my interview

Guest SilverHeart

Guest SilverHeart

I was pretty surprised by the questions I got in my interview. I heard from several people that Queen's was not known for ethical questions and I got three, one of which was on abortion! The community member also asked me no less than 5 questions on the health care system - I felt like I was getting drilled. Did anyone else get a ton of health care and ethical questions? I'm just really surprised after hearing the Queen's interviews are mostly questions about your sketch.

Guest Stevie Boy Wonder

guess it depends on your panel. I got no ethics questions, but not that much about my personal sketch either, a lot of the questions were the get-to-know-you-better type that i hear is more common.

Guest exmathie

No ethics questions for me.

Also, surprisingly, no "why medicine" and "why Queens".

Mostly "get-to-know", some about healthcare, and my further plans. Quite a bit from my sketch, actually.

Guest MrsHouse

I also had a lot of ethical and healthcare questions, so I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one.

It's interesting that the interviews can be so inconsistent like that.

Guest CareBear15

It's unfortunate that you were asked questions you didn't expect and you felt "grilled", but there are no right answers and as long as you kept your composure and had thoughtful answers I'm sure you did great.

Don't forget the community member is only one person on the interview panel and every interviewer has equal say. What kind of questions did you recieve from the other two interviewers? Hopefully it wasn't all ethics!

Guest sensfan

i had a lot of questions on healthcare and POLITICS (!). i hate politics, and i think i had to spend a good 10-15 mins on it (canadian/world politicians, Iraq, Afghanistan, 9/11)... i hung in there ok though, i think. afterward i felt like i didn't get to talk about myself enough but looking back, i probably did... i guess we'll see in may whether that's good or bad :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest linghy

One thing I found interesting though: they asked me "What would I do if I don't get into medicine?

Obviously, I said I'd work for a year and re-apply.

Then he followed with: "So what would you do if you don't get in again?"

I'd re-apply.

"So what would you do if you apply 4 times and still don't get in?"

And I was like WTF... what's the point of asking this question over and over again? And plus I already had an acceptance from a US school so this question is irrelevant for me. A friend of mine adviced me not to bring it up in the interview, which I didn't, but I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do.

Guest treehuggingbiologist

They're probably trying to see how you handle things. Everyone expects to be asked "what if you don't get in" and you gave the textbook answer to that (no offence). So they figured they'd push you again - see how you responded. And when you responded the same, they tried again. I'm convinced half of the interview is just them trying to see how well you interact in a stressful situation and what happens when they surprise you.

Guest ssc427
And I was like WTF... what's the point of asking this question over and over again? And plus I already had an acceptance from a US school so this question is irrelevant for me. A friend of mine adviced me not to bring it up in the interview, which I didn't, but I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do.

Why not? I was asked the exact same question and I also have an acceptance in the US. I answered "I'll go to the states". They seemed satisfied and that was the end of the question. It's simply being honest isn't it?

Guest strider2004

I don't think you guys understood the reason for the question. The interviewers want to know what else interests you besides medicine and what other careers you have thought about besides medicine. They are looking (hopefully) for people who aren't so one-dimensional that they would die if they didn't become doctors.

Guest ssc427

Perhaps but there's still nothing wrong with using the US as a backup and being honest about this plan during the interview. I would die if I didn't get to be a doctor :)

i would agree with Stridor in that they were likely checking for 2 things: 1) do you want to be a doctor badly enough to try again? and 2) have you thought about other possible plans if medicine doesn't work out? (which goes hand-in-hand with looking for people who are multi-dimensional with several interests.) i certainly wouldn't say that going to a US school is a bad answer at all. it shows that medicine is what you want.

Guest linghy

They are looking (hopefully) for people who aren't so one-dimensional that they would die if they didn't become doctors.

Some people are just naturally smart and accomplished. I am not. If the above wasn't true then I wouldn't have gotten a single interview.

Archived