Premed 101 Forums

you are mean ( BCSARA)

Guest medscool1

Guest medscool1

Sorry, I am a long reader of this forum and the first time posting sth. SaraBC, I think you are being very mean. Every one that post these sort of question make us think and come up with possible answers. These are for many one of us who are so stresses out that even simple question seems very hard. I have seen these discussions in other med school forums. If you don't want to be helpful please don't be mean too. Remember the time you had to go through the same process. The problem with you kind of people is that you forget all abut the past and sit down and watch ... I hope you are not really form Queens other wise i will be really disappointed of my own degree form the school for having such a negative person in their medical student team....wrong wrong wrong choice ....

KJ

Guest jaegwon

While you might disagree with BCSara's response, I think its a bit of an over-reaction to say it was mean-spirited, and to extrapolate that to a negative view of Queen's as a whole is silly.

Try not to become overwhelmed by the stress :) If you've done enough self-reflection, you'll do fine.

Btw - I just interviewed at queen's this weekend and the students are overwhelmingly helpful and friendly - you don't need to be disappointed in Queen's.

Guest DrNicki

Regarding SarahKJ's answer-seeking: the Queen's forum is for discussion regarding Queen's Medicine and other topics regarding our medical school experience - not as a short-cut for pre-fab answers to your interview questions.

If you are having difficulty formulating your own opinions and ideas regarding such topics, perhaps you should re-evaluate your decision to pursue medicine as a career. Being a physician involves making decisions every day in planning the course of your patient's care. Not to downplay the importance of the health care team, but doctors have traditionally been regarded as leaders in making these decisions, and as such, need to have the confidence to formulate their own opinions and think critically.

I implore you to have confidence in yourself that the answers you provide in interviews are your thoughts, and moreover, good answers. Believe in yourself. Furthermore, take the long way and do the work on your own - when you get accepted it will be far more satisfying.

All the best,

n.

Guest BCSarah

I'm sorry that you feel that way KJ! I think I'm pretty friendly and willing to help out. Queen's medicine is fantastic, and I had a great time hosting people last weekend, welcoming them and showing them around. Like I said, we are happy to tell you about the school and all the reasons that we love it, but we're not here to think for you. Geez, I'd meet for coffee with you and talk about these issues, but there's a difference between spurring discussion and asking for answers.

Guest SaraKJ

Hey guys,

My intention was not to seek answers for these questions. I just wanted to start a discussion and use some extra thoughts like other forums.

p090.ezboard.com/fpremed1...=574.topic

no need to be angry. just igonre the posting and move on.

I am sure when you are invited for interview you have the ability to come up with some reasonable answers.

KJ: thanks for the support. Funny thing is that I am a physiotherapist graduate form Queens as well. I loved the school and the students.

Good luck to every one preparing for the interview

Guest QueensMSc

I wanted to take a few sentences to echo the sentiments expressed by my classmates: We want to see you do well and are willing to contribute our time and efforts to help you succeed. Importantly though, we recognize that it is YOU that must do well in YOUR interview.

It is great that you are considering complex ethical issues as you anticipate your interview. But it is important that the opinions you express during your interview are in fact yours. Ultimately, we would be doing a disservice if we related our opinions to you (based largely on our own personal experiences and perceptions regarding the state of medicine) and did not allow you the opportunity to reflect on your own thoughts and feelings. This is the concern that I think Sarah was trying to raise.

Most of us really would be happy to sit down for coffee to discuss complex issues with a prospective medical student, but as in any conversation we would encourage you to present your side of the story before we give ours. Try expanding your questions to include your answer. This will give us a better platform to work from and will encourage a better discussion.

Accusing our classmates of being 'mean' (the same classmates who spent most of their last weekend hosting interviewees and working tirelessly to ensure they had a relaxing and favourable interview) is probably not the best way to deal with the situation OR the best way to respond to a future colleague who's opinion you disagree with. I would also encourage you to rethink your criticism of Medical Student's as students who have forgotten about their own struggles and become lascivious voyeurs. In my opinion, we are in the best position to relate and reflect on your position. After all, we are the ones spending time reflecting on our past challenges; we are the ones spending time organizing an informative and involved interview weekend for you; and we are the ones who surf this forum hoping to offer some insight on the road that lies ahead.

Use us for what we're good at--relating the experiences common to Queen's and medical students. But, please remember that you are an active participant in an online conversation and we want to hear your opinions. As we've all said at one time or another: You show me your's and I'll show you mine.

Guest kellyl20

Richmond604: An applicant wanted to have some idea of what some possible answers might be and someone perhaps with the knowledge is refusing to give/share their knowledge/opinion, their reasons being the applicant should help themselves and etc etc. Now someone (else?) has a poor impression of Queen's med.

Is this the gist??

I Agree with you SaraKj

What's the big deal anyways? SaraKJ asked some basic questions about healthcare in Canada. Its not like those are the questions that are going to be on the actual interview?? Almost every school is discussing issues getting prepared for the interviews.

BCsarah, IN medical school when a friend of your's ask you a question do you help them or tell them its not your place to be teaching them and they should go ask the teacher? I almost fainted when I saw your response to SaraKJ, Why even be on this board...??

Listen SaraKj when i have more time I'll answer those two questions for you or will tell you where to find the answers. I'm sure I know enough about it to give you better than a satisfactory answer.

Guest little endian

Hi Guys,

In my opinion, this has gotten a bit out of hand. I don't think anyone intended to be mean about the purpose of the forums etc. and I don't think anyone really intended to use the forums to formulate their entire "interview persona" by asking a few questions. Overall I think it just comes down to: if you don't want to answer the questions on the forum, don't. And, if the person is totally unable to formulate their opinions they'll fall apart when they're asked an unusual question at their interview and won't get in! I just don't think it's a thing to get hugely worked up over!

Now, just to clarify, Queen's meds students are very willing to help each other out and they are NOT hesitant to share information with their fellow classmates as someone suggested on this forum. I've never had anyone begrudge me the notes from class if I missed one or two and lots of people share study materials at exam time. If anything, the support for Sarah on this board shows how we stick up for our classmates. Hopefully every one who came to interview last weekend saw has nice we really are! (and ate my blueberry muffins and enjoyed them)

K

To Clarify,

I didn't suggest that queens students don't help one another, I simpily asked BCSara a question if she would turn away a fellow student that was looking for information. (Like SaraKJ is doing here). Plain and simple.

Anyways you are right that this is getting carried away. I'm Glad SaraKj that you sent me your email and I'll send the information to you personally and not post it on the forum. Don't want to just give answers away and upset people.

Guest strider2004

I understand the intention's of BCSara's original post because I've seen it taken out of hand before.

When I was in 1st year med school, my friend billetted an applicant. The applicant asked my friend "I have trouble answering this question: if I were to have dinner with 3 people, who would I have dinner with?"

My friend answered "well I said I would have dinner with Mother Teresa, Madonna, and the Pope because of such and such and such(gave detailed answer)."

My friend then asked the billettee after the interview how it went and he said "it went great! they asked me who I'd have dinner with and I said Mother Teresa, Madonna and the Pope because of such and such(the SAME reasons)"

My friend was pretty mad.

My impression of SaraKJ's original post was that she was asking the med students for their answers instead of looking for facts and forming her own opinion.

Unfortunately this isn't a case of a friend asking you a question in class. This is more like a friend writing a test that you'll be writing soon and asking him/her how he/she answered a certain question, knowing that she passed the test and probably has the right answer.

Guest el pansito

Long time reader, first time poster.

Despite sara's lack of answering your question, she, and the other students, are offering their time to try to help us. Sara's feedback was still constructive, and starting a "sara-bashing" post is not the way to remedy the situation.

Even if one person were mean, it doesn't at all reflect on the student body as a whole. There are mean people everywhere right? (Sara i don't think youre mean).

This thread is pointless.

MS

Archived