Premed 101 Forums

Interview Preparation

Guest NeuroObsessed

Guest NeuroObsessed

Hi everbody,

For people that got invites, what is everybody doing to prepare?

I know that we have to know our sketch well and keep up with current news/ethics. However, are people doing other things that would be useful for interview preparation?

And, does anybody know any places that conduct Mock Interviews (I'm from U of T and the career center was woefully unhelpful!)?

Any input would be appreciated!

think about the last few books you've read, and by books i don't mean Molecular Biology of the Cell or Intro to Human Physiology. what did you think of the book? why?

how do you spend your spare time? why do you these activities?

what does queen's offer you that other schools might not?

i wouldn't expect an ethical question... queen's isn't known for that (at the very least, they didn't ask me last year). after all, you take ethics classes at med school, so you shouldn't necessarily need to know the "oughts" just like you shouldn't need to know how to suture yet. it's the thought processes they would look for anyway.

good luck.

Hi. I agree with the previous post. The interviewers will assuredly ask you why you want to come to Queen's and about your extracurricular interests. Anything you include in your autobiographical sketch is fair game. Keep in mind the interview panel consists of a faculty member, student and community member, so think about what each of these individuals might like to discuss with you.

I recommend being knowledgable about current issues in health (for example, Chaoulli decision in Quebec, LHINs in Ontario, influenza pandemic). In one of my interviews I was asked to describe the greatest challenges to health care in the next 20 years. It's important to have some details with which to support an answer to questions like this. I read up on the health care system, which definitely helped. Check out the CBC website for many topics related to health (concise and readable) at: www.cbc.ca/news/background.

I was asked to respond to an ethical dilemma during my Queen's interview. Of course, there was no "correct" answer. I believe the exercise was designed to demonstrate my ability to appreciate different perspectives of an issue and provide a reasoned approach to a course of action.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brownie99

Any thoughts on why queens? Other than the general good school/friendly students stuff? Oh and of course the new health sciences centre ive heard so much about - poor botterial, its just not getting the love. Or the safe elevators (im STILL scared im going to die in those things!):eek

Guest little endian

Well, a great thing about queen's is the small class size. We have the smallest class size of the southern ontario schools (I think NOSM is smaller) and that's a real plus for some people. Also, we only have exams once a year so if you're a person who likes to have all the info and then start studying, that could work in your favour. However, this is a negative for some people who are procrastinators like me!

Archived