Premed 101 Forums

Book to read

Guest SaraKJ

hello there,

i haven't had a chance to read any book for the last 3 yrs.. it has been only textbooks>: Any suggestion what to start with that give me sth to talk about

thanks

Guest QueensMSc

Cecil's Essentials of Medicine (6th Ed) would be a good place to start.

No, seriously, I'm kidding.

The suggestion to 'read a book' is not meant to imply that there is any one book that you should read. Just do your best to pick something that you will enjoy. You should read something that is a clear departure from your everyday (textbook)--something that expands your mind and your outlook. If you really do need a suggestion, check out the ALL ABOUT US section of our class website, and read some recommendations from the current class. As always, exercise a healthy amount of discretion.

Above all, our interviewers are looking for balanced individuals that will be able to handle the stresses of the medical field. They will want to learn how you cope and how you stay motivated.

Show them that there's more to you than your 4.0 GPA, and you and I may gain the chance to exchange reading lists in September.

G

Here are a few suggestions of books that are sort of relevant:

1) A Life in Medicine: a litterary anthology edited by Robert Coles and Randy Testa - this is a book of short stories and poetry that pertain to medicine; very good, and you only have to read a little each night

2) The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman - this book is about how doctors deal with treating people from other cultures; talks a lot about the social factors that complicate (enhance) medicine

3) The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - this book is not really about medicine, but it is short and easy to read, and deals with life's journey and following your dreams (I'm sure you can hear the cliche interview answer already...)

Of course, as the previous poster mentioned, any books are fine. The interviewers just want to know that you have other interests other than studying. It might be best to pick litterature on topics that you're really interested so that it shows when they ask you to discuss it. They often ask about your reading preferences simply to find out more about you and you interests. Good luck.

Guest BCSarah

I wouldn't necessarily focus on a book that relates to medicine. I think they care more about you being interested in things beyond medicine - showing that you are well-rounded and multi-dimensional. Don't force yourself to read something just so that you can talk about it - if you don't really care about the book then that will show. Don't try to wow them with any deep astute responses when it comes to things like this - be genuine.

And if you haven't ready any good books lately, just be frank and admit it! So reading for pleasure isn't your thing - just explain and be honest. Divert to something else you do for leisure time.

But that's just my take on this whole deal, and I actually didn't even get asked this question. I did get asked what my proudest accomplishment was, and I told them about a painting I'd done. Not everyone who gets into medicine has published a book, won a nobel prize, or saved a south american village from a horde of fire ants.

Be honest and sincere. Good luck!

Guest treehuggingbiologist

Read any of the Harry Potter books - very easy to read, very quick, might not be your cup of tea, but its so easy to read and if you don't like it, you can always say that it didn't live up to the hype.

Alternatively, you can read an old book - to kill a mockingbird, anything by shakespeare. just say it was recommended to you by a friend or something. personally, i'm a fan of comic books and i draw in my spare time so those go together in this case (neither of which look particularly good on my med application).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brownie99

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenidies (the author of The Virgin Suicides). it raises issues of transgenderism and hermaphrodism, and its a ripping good read as the brits would say! (ie great story). Theres always Terry Pratchet if you want a light read - he's funny. Wild Swans by Jung Chang is an awesome book if youre at all interested in the Mao years of China's history as its an family story of the last 100 years in China - very interesting and again a good book if you want enjoyable reading. I could go on and on....if they ask me what i like to read in the interview, they'd better be ready to have a real conversation about it - i LOVE to read!

Archived