Premed 101 Forums

Course weighting

Hello,

First, I apologize if this post is in the wrong section. A little on me, I am an undergrad at McGill (2nd year or U1 for other McGill students) and I'm looking at applying to Ontario schools next cycle. Specifically, I am interested in Queen's as I am a Kingston native and would like to return to the city. However, I'm slightly confused by the wording of some of the course weighting descriptions given by some universities like Queens. Specifically, I was wondering if courses with a lab component (i.e CHEM 110/120 at McGill) count as 0.75 credits instead of the traditional 0.5 on the Queens scale. I ask because their website says that labs are regarded separately and both courses which I provided as examples contain a lecture and lab portion. Beyond that, would OMSAS also count these courses as being 1.5 credits? If there are any current applicants from McGill on here, any input would be deeply appreciated.

Beyond that, I was wondering what my chances would be in applying as a third year student. I expect my GPA to be around the high 3.8s or low 3.9s depending on how things go this semester, and I haven't yet written the MCAT (will be writing in August). That said, with covid coming on the scene, I now have the opportunity to really focus on the MCAT and I think I can do fairly well (505 ish from a pre-review FL practice test). My ECs are slightly below average. I have have held two club leadership positions in the field of global health (one of which I helped found) and I have volunteered at a research lab. I also have some hobbies in athletics and writing/public speaking. I have some volunteer experience but this is mainly from high school and one international trip. My hospital volunteer hours are from KHSC, so I wonder if that would count for anything. 

On another note, I know you guys are all super stressed right now and I thought I'd let you know that from an observers perspective, you are all handling things exceptionally well. I look forward to having such calm and collected people taking care of myself and my family in the future. 

Thanks.