Premed 101 Forums

More Housing Options

Guest kaisermark

Guest kaisermark

For those of you still interested in looking throughout Kingston for a good place to live, a bunch of us went last week. Between Dave, Kevin, Greg, Sydney, and myself, we saw 30 places. So I was thinking, posting our top finds would save people the trouble of filtering through all the @#%$ expensive places for rent in Kingston. Our primary criteria were affordability, quality, and proximity to Botterell Hall. So here it is in approximate descending order of quality. For more information on the place or how to contact the landlord, just ask me.

Address : type : capacity : price : FYI

Homestead : apartment : 2 : roughly $1100 : sweet places, but almost impossible to come by, unless you camp all day and night at their office

326 University : flat in a house : 4 : $1800 + U : very spacious living room, extremely good-looking place

84 Williams : basement apartment : 2 : $895 + U : large living room and bedrooms, already one med student there who’s looking for a roommate (Aman)

Princess Towers : apartment : 3 : $1222 : does have some noise problems at night, but great location at Princess and Division, 11 minutes (I timed it!) from Botterell, and pretty good living space area

Now the second tier (below) is a full step down in terms of quality from the previous group, but it’s still livable.

Frontenac : house : 3 : $1600 + U : really nice place, but too far from university and hub

128 Bagot : house : 3 : $1645 : spacious rooms, really close to Botterell

131 Collingwood : house : 4 : $1900 + U : nice backyard

133 Collingwood : house 5 : $2100 + U : nice backyard

67 Sydenham : apartment : 3 : $1500 : spacious rooms, close to Botterell, but a bit run down

I also found a couple of places that I think are worth looking at, especially if you enjoy a LOT of space (like me!).

- 60 Nelson Street (1 bedroom, corner of Nelson and Brock): this is a 'granny suite' (essentially a guest house) in the yard behind a house that contains other tenants. Great-sized living room, kitchen, bedroom. Your own personal stackable washer and dryer (cute); kitchen cabinets; regular-sized fridge and stove. Bathroom is a little cramped, but I think pretty normal-sized. Quiet; lots of privacy. Regular door + screen door and lights outside the entrance. The only problem is that since it is in a backyard, the entrance is a little dark at night (lots of trees around the place). $625/mo incl. heat and cold water only. A 10-15 minute walk from Botterell. Pictures available! www.videotreasures.on.ca/Nelson4.htm

- 60 Main Street (1 bedroom, corner of Main and Raglan): this is a basement suite in the entire lower level of a woman's bungalow. HUGE space (esp. the bedroom)! Large enough to hold 2 people comfortably, but the landlord will only allow 1 tenant. Your own personal regular-sized washer, dryer, kitchen; laminate floors in the bathroom and kitchen. Tons of storage space (3 rooms!) and a bar area! Again, average-sized bathroom. In a quiet family residential area; the landlord's lived there for 10 years and said she's never had a security problem. Lots of windows. Your own private side entrance; a sensor light outside as well as inside the entrance. $725/mo, all inclusive; cable cost shared with the landlord. A 15 minute walk from Botterell; 1 block north of Princess; 2 blocks from A&P (a grocery store). 613-544-7779.

Good luck!

Guest dharma78

Hi, here's another option for housing....

My roommate, who is starting Law, and I are looking for a third for a house on Main St. (15 min. from Botterel). It's a great place, quite big and clean, washer and dryer, beautiful backyard, wall-to-wall shag carpet, lots of storage space....

Rent is $975/mo. plus utilities, which would be split between the three of us. Lease is Sept. to April. I have a cat, too.

I'll be moving to Kingston around the 31st of August, but you could move a few days earlier, should you like. If interested, please e-mail me (dharma.mcbride@gmail.com) or phone me in Montreal (514.842.7617).

Thanks,

Dharma (Class of '09!!)

Guest coastalslacker

Meds House still has one spot available- in the Guy's Double Room. $490 per month. 9 months only. Includes 10 meals a week and all utilities, laundry, cable and social fees included.

Phone: 1 613 546-6504 or 1 613 439-3900. So far we have 6 girls and one guy signed up from the incoming year!

Guest kaisermark

Hi Nowal,

Which places are you interested in particular? I don't have all the contact info (my housemates have some). If you're interested in a place that have the contact info for, I will definitely post it, but if not, I will refer you to one of my housemates. Let me know which ones.

-Mark

STAY AWAY from Princess towers. It may be conveniant but the noise problem is a daily occurence, they're dirty, small and filled with undergrads. After a couple months there, you'll be wishing you were somewhere else. I had one friend live there in first year med and she was miserable.

You'll find that by third and fourth year med, a majority of you are living in a Homestead building on Ontario, that's where i wish i had been. If you can get a place, and willing to share, it's a great option.

Good luck everyone, i miss K-town!

Archived