Premed 101 Forums

anatomy

Guest DannyB

Guest seedstrike

Our anatomy class takes place in the first semester of first year and lasts from september to Mid December.

Second year (paid) volunteers dissect a part of the cadaver each week. We have one to two lectures of anatomy each week covering a differnt part of the body. The hands-on anaotmy section is divided into groups of about 8 students.

Each week, the second year dissectors tutor 2 of the 8 students (from first year class) in each group the topic that was covered in class using the cadaver they dissected. These 2 first years then go on the next day to teach the rest of the group using the cadaver. Profs and Anatomy staff are present during this larger tutorial in case your classmates can't answer a question.

In addition to the cadaver, we have a pretty good anatomy museum with plastinated organs as well as formalin preserved structures.

Finally, anatomy is tested on the MCQ exam as well as the short answer test at the end of first semester. We also have an anatomy bell ringer at the end of the first semester.

Guest Isoceles

I can vouch for the anatomy lab. If you didn't tour it when you interviewed... you are missing out!! My sister (an artist, and therefore also interested in anatomy) and I walked around in awe and joy literally drooling over the specimens :lol IF I ever get pulled off this damn waitlist I can definately see myself spending alot of time holed up in there!! :D

Guest nextstopmd

Hang in there Isoceles, hopefully you'll get some good news soon! I remember showing you the anatomy lab on the tour... Glad you liked it.

I had never taken anatomy before coming to Queen's and it was a great resource to be able to go to the museum and look at the specimens and try to figure out what was going on. Fortunately they are all labeled so you can get your bearings. The museum has pretty good hours (especially near exams) to just go in on your own time and learn.

nextstopmd

Guest seedstrike

Nope you don't...though I don't know if that's such a bad thing.

However, if you score high enough in the anatomy portion of the finals, you can apply for prosection position in your second year. It pays pretty well.

Guest little endian

I'm kind of bummed by that too. I would have liked to get an opportunity to learn anatomy in a hands-on kind of way.

Guest kahone

Many of the prosectors each year are in fact graduate students in the Department of Anatomy. There are 2nd yr med students as well, call it ~50/50. The grad students already have experience in dissection (at least 1 body, often more) and also have prior experience in teaching undergraduate anatomy labs, and more aften than not, have taken most of the undergrad anatomy courses available at Queen's.

Prosectors usually cut monday evenings and then teach it tuesday nights, the med students then teach the rest of their group (lately up to ~10 more ppl). There are numerous "tutorial sessions" through the term to augment the lecture and lab components, run by faculty and senior graduate students.

Taking dissection out of the hands of 1st medical students is an absolute blessing you can't appreciate until you actually do a full human cadaveric dissection to the level that Phase I operates at. You'll have enough to worry about and while dissection is excellent for leaning anatomy, it is time-consuming, frustrating and rather demanding physically...get some strong thenars though!

It is often competitive to be granted a position as a 2nd yr med student prosector. You'll also never smell the same...as in odor and your sense of smell.

There are also extensive, exquisite online resources for anatomy (and histology) that you'll hear about when you arrive. No shortage of learning aids to help you, despite not cutting in your 1st yr.

K

Guest strider2004

The problem is that 1st year medical students aren't knowledgeable ot skilled enough regarding anatomy(usually) so there is a chance that they could butcher the body. It's much more practical to have someone carefully dissect the relevant parts so that those who are not doing the actual dissecting(good luck trying to find a body for everyone, noone can do that) can learn too. There are too many opportunities to lose a nerve or mix up the nerve/artery/vein because in a preserved body, they all pretty much look the same.

Guest shadowguitar

I assure you, you are not missing out on anything by not doing the actual cutting. You do get lots of "hands-on" time with the cadavers (if that's what you're worried about).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest flying kumquat

Did any first years find Moore's useful for learning anatomy? Amazon has the new 5th edition (big Moore?) on for $69 right now, and I'm kind of looking for something to make my Harry Potter shipping free...

Guest nextstopmd

Hey kumquat,

Some people in our class did have the big Moore book and did just fine with it. I was one of the people that had the smaller Moore book and although at first I found it useful, I found that for some parts of the body, it needlessly complicated things and I stopped using it about halfway through the term.

I do recommend Netter, but any large/complete anatomy text should be just fine... I think Netter is around 95$ or so.

nextstopmd

Archived