Premed 101 Forums

Western offer.

Guest doctorfunk

Guest doctorfunk

In Western's acceptance letter, there is a line that reads, "You can hold more than one offer at a time but it is important to note that you cannot hold more than one firm acceptance."

Is this implying that one is permitted to provisionally accept more than one school?

Guest lcloh

That is correct. You can hold more than one provisional acceptance until July 3rd, at which point you will be forced to choose.

Guest Namgalsip

I don't think this is correct (although I definitely could be wrong) because when you accept a provisional offer, it becomes firm automatically by omsas on July 3rd. If they have more than one provisional acceptance they might end up doing the choosing for you :P

From what I understand, you HAVE to make a choice by next Friday between the schools to which you have already been accepted, but you can remain on all the waitlists that you've been put on.

At least that's my understanding. I may be totally off.

Nams

Guest therealcrackers

Nams, I think you have it right. You have to let SOMEBODY know by next Friday that you want to go SOMEWHERE, or all your offers are automatically rescinded. If you have firm acceptances at all 5 places, then you have to make your final decision in the next 10 days. If you have acceptances at more than one place and are on the waiting list for others, you have to decide among your acceptances which one, and then you can hold out until July 3 if your heart is set on a "waiting list" school. Otherwise, none of the waiting lists would move, and everyone without a firm acceptance somewhere would be in agony for most of the summer. (For me, it was moot: I got off the waitlist at Western, and that was my only acceptance!)

If you have any questions about any of the schools, e-mail the moderators directly; it's a significant step you're taking in the next few days, so get as much information as you need to make the ultimate decision that's best for you. Collectively, we've been through it all, and we want to help you start your medical career the best way possible.

Guest Valani9

Crackers -

I too am waitlisted at UWO. WHen did you get off it last year (if you don't mind saying)? Do most waitlist cum acceptees hear before the July 3 date?

Cheers.

Guest therealcrackers

It wasn't last year (I'm in meds 2, still writing exams) but I got the phone call on the 7th of July. The top of the list will get the notice in the first batch... that being said, where people are ranked in the waiting list IS NOT, repeat NOT something that is EVER DISCLOSED. My guess is (and it's a guess) about 30-40 people will get spots in the first round of waitlist offers, but I have no proof of that.

Guest hoping

Therealcrackers,

Oh no! Will they only be contacting waitlistees by phone? No letters/emails? Not only does the agony continue, 'must change summer sched & not leave home; or get a better cell plan :(

Guest therealcrackers

I was contacted by phone. That's my experience of it. I was not in the first round of offers off the waitlist, though. I'm sure that the admissions office will use every means of communication you have provided them with to track you down when they have an offer for you. Check your waitlist letter... see if it specifies or suggests anything. But I was contacted by phone; they called my parents, who gave them the number in the lab, and then Barbara called me. I nearly hit the ceiling...

There was a letter that came out afterwards, with all of the official materials, of course... but my first contact was by phone.

Guest hoping

The letter states,"failure to provide the tel#s could lead to your missing an offer of admission" (italicized/underscored). This makes me think there'll be no letter coming unless Admissions got through by phone??? Anyway, tks for all your feedback :)

And congratulations again to all those who've recd the offers.

Guest aneliz

Usually the people that are offered in the first waiting list round (the one starting immediately after the deadline for response to first round acceptances) receive a letter in the mail with no phone call....

However, by later in the summer, they will start phoning to see if you are interested in coming (ie not going somewhere out of province, accepted into dentistry, master's etc) before they will mail you the stuff...This is because they are trying to fill the class as fast as possible at that point and calling gets a faster answer than waiting for mail to go to a person and then their answer to return in the mail...

Also, putting together and mailing packages is time consuming, and they want to avoid sending out hundreds of packages to people that are no longer interested in UWO for Sept.

And the final reason that they call: because the admissions staff get a real kick out of telling people on the phone that they got in..."so, would you still be interested in coming to western for medical school?" Apparently the reactions would put a smile on anybody's face!

Good luck!

Archived